Honey Bee

Monday, March 18, 2013

Dealing with Stress.

Mom...and anyone else reading here today,

I’m not sure what this tendency says about me and the very particular nature of my crazy, but sometimes, when I really want to procrastinate (like now...budget reports how I hate thee), I like to click over to the YouTube and search for old Miss America clips and cute puppy videos.

It fulfills me on so many levels.

I also like to search for clips from Anne of Green Gables, but that’s usually if I’m trying to get motivated...Anne Shirley is a powerful motivator!  If I’m feeling stressed and need to calm down a little bit before I start to tackle whatever task is at hand, I go straight for the Miss America moments They are a soothing presence in my life. A healing balm, if you will. My friend DJ from here at work got me hooked on doing this. Because nothing prepares you more for tackling a job with poise and dignity than Miss America. DJ and I are patriotic like that. She was also trying to teach me how to be a full fledged lady of the south. But I could never aquire a taste for Mint Julep. Sadly DJ doesn't work here anymore, she moved to ALABAMA! She was already living in the south, I don't know why she had to go deeper into the southern trenches. Something about a husband and the kids grandma. Everyone has a sob story.

At any rate, I first saw this clip from the 1991 Miss America pageant back in January, I think, and it dawned on me this morning that it’s just plain inconsiderate that I haven’t posted it yet because IT IS A GEM. I love the double-breasted suits, the rapping (in my mind the entire rapping segment is a veiled tribute to the “Opposites Attract” influence of the incomparable Paula Abdul and MC Skat Cat), the contestants in their Sensible (Leslie Lucks?) Dresses, the vogue-ing Miss America dancers, the bouncy authority with which Gary Collins and Phyllis George walk down the runway, THE WHOLE THING.



Really, the only piece of the 1991 Opening Number puzzle that troubles me is that I can’t figure out if the contestants are wearing Silky Reflections hose in Travel Buff or Pearl. It’s a tough call. I’m thinking that it’s Travel Buff, but I’m not ready to make a definitive ruling just yet.

So I guess I’ve figured out my plan for the week: take care of my people, go to work, finish up my visiting teaching for the month, and resolve the matter of the 1991 Silky Reflections shade once and for all. I’m also going to work on my scatting and maybe practice that kick move that one of the dancers does at the 4:36 mark.

What can I say? I’m feeling inspired.

Have a great Monday, y’all! (Remember that's North Carolinian for you all)

P.S. Mom...I'm still chuckling over your recent foray into the Gossip Vine of Orem, Utah! You brazen missionary you!

No comments:

Blog Archive