Hi Mom,
I thought you might enjoy another silly conversation that Dane and I had last night. But be warned. All I can tell you is that Dane doesn't understand creative work processes.
Dane: Didn't you tell me that you have a work deadline tomorrow for the alumni magazine. How's that coming?
Me: I've done LOTS.
Dane: You've watched TV.
Me: I'm watching BBC. So it's classy. Plus I'm doing research for English words. Because England is where the words come from.
Dane: What words?
Me: ALL THE WORDS! It's practically where English was invented.
Dane: Holley, It is where English was invented.
Me: Then what are we arguing about?
Dane: You've wasted the last two hours watching Dr. Who.
Me: I'm am learning about the space-time continuum. It's like that week I tried to read "A Brief History of Time." Except better, because this I can actually finish.
Dane: There are like 50 years worth of Doctor Who episodes.
Me: I stand corrected. Also? I've been keeping the cat alive.
Dane: Um...what?
Me: For the last two hours I've been single-handedly keeping the cat alive.
Dane: I know I'll regret asking this, but how?
Me: Through pills. It's a 12 hour slow-release capsule. So technically the cat and I have been working these past two hours on his dodgy thyroid for 2 straight hours.
Dane: You gave the cat his pill 2 hours ago and you've watched Doctor Who. This doesn't count as productive. Also, it's not "single-handedly" if a pill is doing all of the work.
Me: Don't be ridiculous. Pills don't have hands. All it has to do is dissolve. Plus, I learned the word "dodgy" tonight. Bloody good word there, mate.
Dane: (Exasperated Sigh) You are impossible.
Me: No, I am unpredictable. Like right now I'm going to switch off the tv and meditate. It's good for my inner...something. I don't know the word. I probably will after I finish all those Doctor Who episodes though.
Dane: That's not meditating, that's sleeping.
Me: I don't think you could call what I do sleeping. It's more like horizontal meditation. You should try it. The cats seem to like it too considering the fact that they meditate right along with me...actually they meditate ON me.
Dane: This is the reason you're up all night panicking about deadlines, because you don't do things during normal people hours.
Me: I just finished watching a show about time-management. I think I know what I'm doing, sir.
Dane: You just finished watching a show about time-travel.
Me: That's about as managed as time can get, I'm pretty sure. I'm HAVING A VERY PRODUCTIVE EVENING.
Dane: AAARGH! (I've been teaching him pirate speak)...You are so incredibly...
Me: Dodgy?
Dane: No Not dodgy at all. That's not even how that word works?
Me: How about dicky? Like if someone has a bad heart in England they say he has a "dicky ticker". Which is sort of fun to say.
Dane: That's not true.
Me: No really. I'm pretty sure that "Dicky" means unsound and unsound means not based on sound evidence or reasoning and therefore unacceptable. Looks like pretty clear proof to me.
Dane: You need to stop talking and get your work done so you can get some "horizontal meditation" in before you have to go to work tomorrow.
So I did. Mostly because I was worried that all this arguing was putting an undo strain on the cat's thyroid. And as you know, I can relate to a dicky thyroid. Then I went an cranked out the rest of my article for work and Dane seemed relieved that I was finally listening to his suggestions. But I was really trying to get finished so that I could squeeze in one more episode of Dr. Who before I horizontally meditated. So basically it was a win win for both of us.
Hope your week is going well and that Pat is feeling better!
Thursday, March 21, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment