Honey Bee

Monday, December 3, 2012

Christmas Love




Hi Mom,

Wasn't last night's First Presidency Devotional wonderful? I was moved and inspired by all three talks. The common theme among all three was LOVE. I particularly enjoyed President Uchdorf's talk about being a gracious receiver of gifts, because all gifts are born out of love. I've been recently reminded of that very notion. As I have been cleaning out closets and organizing things I have come across several "gifts" that the boys made for me when they were in school. Trinkets made from popscicle sticks and glitter, handmade books with poems and pictures that are hand drawn. These are my treasures. I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world and no amount of money could induce me to sell them. Written, painted and drawn on each item is an expression of love. I actually think I need to pull them out more often and remind myself that they really do love and appreciate me, they just forget sometimes.

I wanted to comment more on Elder Hales talk, "Being a More Christian Christian," the first Christlike quality he talks about is "Christian Love."

"Christian Love. The Savior valued everyone. Kind and compassionate to all, He left the ninety and nine to find the one, for 'even the very hairs of [our] heads are numbered to Him.'"

If there is one Christmas message that seems to be the most common, it's the standard, "Let there be peace on earth." Don't get me wrong: I'm all for peace-- on earth, in our communities, in our families, and anywhere else harmony is needed. I just think that after everything I've been reading lately and hearing, that peace is not the central message of Christmas. It makes for good Christmas card copy, and the angels did announce it to the shepherds on that first "Christmas" eve. But there's something even more important that goes to the heart of what Christmas is all about. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that without this "more important something," you can't have peace. Not in the world, not in your community and definitely not in your family (as you and I know from experience). That important ingredient is LOVE.

I admit that a phrase like "What the world needs now is love" doesn't sound as Christmassy as "Peace on earth." But it should for the simple reason that LOVE is why we have Christmas.

John: 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he sent his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

In that simple verse of scripture we see that the first Christmas present was not the gold, frankincense or myrrh. The first gift was from a loving Father in Heaven to His children so that we may have the opportunity to return and live with Him again.

Poet, Christina Rosetti, once wrote:

Love came down at Christmas,
Love all Lovely, love divine;
Love was born at Christmas,
Star and angles gave the sign.

What I find immensely interesting and almost overwhelming is that this demonstration of Heavenly Father's love is that it isn't merely a decision He made. Love is an expression of His character, because Heavenly Father in His very nature is love. 

That's what the scripture means found in 1 John: 4: 8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. Showing how much He loves us isn't an option for God. Love is who God is and love is what God does. The ultimate expression of God's love was His sending Jesus into the world. Love is why we have Christmas!

As I have been studying and praying lately I'm starting to understand that it is in God's nature to give of Himself. He gives to bless us. Even in the midst of trials and difficulties God's love is evident if we just look for it.

I think people find it to easy to blame God for their problems or the tragic things that are happening in the world today. Rather than blaming Him, we need to give Him credit for providing a solution to ALL of our problems -- A solutions born out of love. A solution born on Christmas. 

What makes love such a powerful Christmas theme is that it doesn't stop after the holiday like a truce between warring armies. Because love comes from the heart of Heavenly Father to us, we have the power to share that love with others. 

The problem with peace at Christmas is that it's a two-way street. Both parties have to agree to be nice fore peace to exist. Not so with love. You don't need your thick headed, irresponsibly behaving son ;-), or your unlikable neighbor to love you first. Part of the gift of Christmas is the agency we have to choose to love those people preemptively with the same kind of love Heavenly Father shows at Christmas -- and every other day of our lives.

Love is the most powerful force in the world because God is love!

I love you mom and I am so grateful that Heavenly Father saw fit to give me you as a mother. I'm so proud of the work you are doing. I know that it is difficult, especially during the holidays to be away from your children and grandchildren. Missing out on one Christmas will not diminish the love your family has for you. In fact I know that we are all being blessed by your sacrifice and that in supporting you and sharing you with the wonderful people in your mission area, we are showing love to them, to you and to Heavenly Father. Merry Christmas!

Till Tomorrow,
Holley

No comments:

Blog Archive