Honey Bee

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Christmas Traditions!

Merry Christmas Mom!

I have so many wonderful memories of our family Christmases. I remember the year you found bubble lights for the tree and how excited Dad was. I can vividly see myself helping to string the lights and having to carefully clip the bubble lights on the branches upright so the bubbling would work. I remember sitting around the tree afterward with only the tree lights and Dad telling us about some of his Christmas memories.

I remember one year helping you put up the nativity. The same one that now sits in my living room. Yesterday as I was unpacking the figurines I had a very strong flashback of carefully unwrapping the pieces and handing them to you as you gently placed them on the back of the piano in one of our San Jose homes.



I got out the White family cookbook yesterday and planned out the different treats I would be making to share with my family and friends here in North Carolina. As I sat there jotting down some notes I could see in my minds eye sitting up at the counter in our house on Deboer Lane and frosting sugar cookies and making marshmallow corn flake wreaths decorated with those red hot candies. I love those!

I was shopping yesterday and the cashier made note of my name and it was fun to share in a moment of lightheartedness as I assured her that I was indeed Holley Berry! She checked my ID not once but twice and had to tell the cashier next to her. I get a lot of that this time of year. It made me grateful that you named me Holley and not Heather.

I am so grateful for the testimony that you instilled in each of us about the true meaning of Christmas. Despite the mountains of presents in our living room at Christmas time, you always made a point of reminding us how fortunate we are and helping to keep the focus on Christ. I remember and am grateful for the opportunities we had to experience the joy of giving to those less fortunate than we are. Being a part of providing Christmas for a family that might not otherwise have had one made an indelible mark on me and has inspired me to always look for opportunities to serve and taught me how important it is to involve my whole family. Learning to serve others and the Lord is the single most important gift I have ever gotten from you mom. Thank you! It is the gift that I am trying to pay forward.

I have been reading the conference talks recently and I came across the talk by Elder Hales, "Being a More Christian Christian." I have been so inspired after reading that talk to dedicate this Christmas to learning about and being a more Christian Christian. The talk beautifully encapsulates the attributes we must all strive for in order to help establish the Kingdom of God on earth. I love the line, "For many, the call to be a Christian can seem demanding, even overwhelming. But we need not be afraid or feel inadequate. The Savior has promised that He will make us equal to His work." I know this to be true and I have seen it these past few weeks.

I have been busy decking our halls this weekend and as I unpacked all of our decorations I was filled with a sense of wonder and gratitude for the traditions I hold dear. I felt so connected to everyone yesterday. It strengthened my testimony that families truly are FOREVER.

Welcome to my home mom. Come on in and make yourself comfortable! As you can see we have our stockings hanging in a row. I added a few different touches to my mantle display this year. I found the old fashioned Santa picture at a yard sale a few months ago and I had to have it for over the fireplace. His face is so kind and I love all of the woodland animals. It makes me think of Grandpa walking the woods with Herman the Duck and his friends.






Another new addition to my fireplace display is the Angel Bear...another yard sale find. But what Berry family Christmas display would be complete without an Angel Bear. I don't know how we survived all these years without her.




This next display is one of my favorites. I call it my "Holly Choir" because all of the musicians have a sprig of holly on their hats. It also reminds me of how much I love Christmas music and singing hymns this time of year. I have been practicing the piano a lot so that I can accompany us when we sing on Christmas Eve.



We no longer have children nestled snug in their beds...but we do have Kitties who's favorite place is to nestle themselves on my embroidered Christmas tree skirt under the tree. They are cute and sweet so I'll disregard all the fur on my skirt.


Here is my Christmas village with all of my wonderful Beatrix Potter figurines. It makes me smile to look at them. Beatrix Potter had such an amazing imagination!


Last but not least is the kitchen. A few years ago Grandma sent me flowers for my birthday and they came in that beautiful Spode pitcher. I created my own arrangement to replace the original flowers. I love having that as the centerpiece of the table. It reminds me of the many amazing Christmas dinners at Grandma and Grandpa White's house. Each time I see it I'm instantly transported back to the dining room in Moraga where Grandma would have the Spode china displayed in the cabinet and pointsettias all around the the room. I can almost smell the leg of lamb and the fudgy marshmallow brownies that would line the kitchen counters waiting to be parceled out to neighbors and friends.


Till Tomorrow!

Love,
Holley

1 comment:

Kelly Boyle said...

I love all of the decorations. I feels like home when I look at them.

Blog Archive