Hi Mom,
Today's post comes from another of the Christlike attributes that Elder Hales mentioned in his talk, "Being a more Christian Christian."
"Christian faith. Despite temptations, trials, and persecutions,
the Savior trusted our Heavenly Father and chose to be faithful and
obedient to His commandments."
Faith, having faith versus having a lack of faith is something that I have been thinking a lot about. Our current situation has really pushed me out of my comfort zone. I much prefer being able to control the situations in my life be it my job, finances, the choices my husband and kids make etc. These past few months have been a constant reminder that I am not in control and that my only hope for success is obedience to the commandments and to give over my problems to the Lord.
My mantra lately has been the scripture found in Matthew 11: 28-30.
"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
I have also been thinking lately about Faith as it pertains to Christmas. I have been pondering the life of Mary and her unswerving faith and commitment to Heavenly Father and his plan. I have often wondered what it would be like to receive an angelic visitation and to be told that you would be called upon to do something as extraordinary as giving birth to the Son of God. I think the thing that amazes me the most is her answer to the angel found in Luke 1: 38, "And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord: be it unto me according to they word. And the angel departed from her."
Mary didn't hestitate for one moment so great was her faith! That is the kind of faith I am trying to cultivate in my life right now. I know that is what you are doing too mom. You have opened yourself up to the Lord and have told him that you are his humble servant and to please direct you to where you will be able to do the most good for His people. What an awesome thing to serve a Mission. Again Mom, I am so proud of you!
Some people would argue that the Christmas story requires a lot of faith, I would agree -- but not for the reason you might think. If by "faith" they mean "blind faith" -- because there is just no way to know for sure that the events on that first Christmas happened the way the scriptures say they did-- that's not what I mean. It doesn't take any more faith to believe the fact that George Washington crossed the Delaware River. In both cases we have reliable information based on trustworthy witnesses, giving us good reason to believe these events happend -- even though we weren't there to see them ourselves.
On the other hand, if by "faith" they are referring to the action required on our part to act on what we know to be true, then I am on the same page as they are.
It's one thing to believe that Jesus was born on Christmas Day and quite another matter to live your life as if this were actually true. For example, when we think about an airplane we an have faith that it will fly (unless you are Dane), but until you actually get on board and demonstrate your confidence in the plane your faith doesn't count for much. It isn't active, living faith.
Now think about Christmas. Rather than simply believing Christmas is true, we must insert ourselves into the story! Think about what it would have been like to believe the events would actually happen-- before they happened. Imagine yourself as Joseph or Mary, both of whom were asked by God's messenger to do something extraordinary and quite unbelievable: to have faith in God that His only Son--the Savior who was coming to take away the sins of the world--was going to be born through them. Keeping in mind that this was before anything had happened. They were asked to trust God before there was any physical evidence.
What if Mary and Joseph had believed God without acting on their belief? What if they had not accepted the assignment God gave them? Because we know that God will always carry out His plans, it is certain He would have found two other people to get the job done.
Real faith--the kind that is so evident in the Christmas story--is more than knowledge about something. Real faith as I am learning, is about personally trusting God and believe that what He says is true, even before it happens. When we have that kind of faith, we have no choice but to respond to God's call in our lives the way Mary did and say: "I am the Lord's servant. May everything you have said about me come true!" Talk about taking a leap!
But, what is our faith worth if we don't trust God completely? When faced with a challenge or an opportunity to get on board with God, our natural tendency is to trust our own abilities and our own understanding of the situation (one of my biggest faults). We don't want to act unless we're absolutely certain we can get the job done (again something I am guilty of). But God will never use us if we take that approach and we'll never know what we are truly capable of in this life (you have been telling me that for years Mom. I think I'm finally starting to get it). God wants us to trust Him with all our heart. He doesn't want us to depend on ourselves, but to see His will in all we do.
If we do that, like Mary and Joseph and so many other great heroes of the faith have done, God promises to direct us in all we do. I'm reminded of the primary song, "Nephi's Courage" the refrain is "I will go, I will do the things the Lord commands. I know the Lord provides a way, He wants me to obey."
So even though this Christmas finds me and my family in a bit of turmoil and immersed in various trials. I have faith that if I will turn it over to Him and celebrate by keeping Christ in Christmas that everything will be ok. I know that there is no limit to what God can do with the person who has faith. That is my Christmas hope for you Mom and for our whole family.
Till Tomorrow!
Holley
Tuesday, December 4, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment