Honey Bee

Friday, January 22, 2010

Things I Would Say to My Grandmother if I Were With Her Today!



Me with my Grandpa and Grandma (Wasn't my Grandma Gorgeous)

Dear Grandma,
You have always been a hero of mine. You taught me from a very young age how to juggle the many hats of womanhood. I have always marveled at your ability to work a full-time job, keep a pristine home; and be an active and supportive wife, mother and grandmother and still have time to take care of yourself. You were a model of self-discipline and self care. I still wonder how you did it all. I am determined that I am going become more like you.
You have always had this ability to make me feel like the most loved and cherished person in the world and I know for a fact that the rest of your 15 grandchildren feel the same way. You took such pleasure in our accomplishments and successes. You were always our biggest cheerleader and made sure that everyone else in our extended family knew about each of us.
Some of my most favorite memories are of the times spent with you. I remember my first trip to a beauty parlor and watching you diligently workout at the spa. I loved sleepovers at your home and trips to the park and the beach. I remember every Elks Club party that you took me too. It was so fun to dress up in my Sunday best and attend those events. It was during those times that you taught me what it means to be a lady.
I have always relished your zest for life and adventure. I adored visiting with you after one of your trips around the world. I loved hearing about the places you visited and the people that you met, many of which became lifelong friends and family.
I want to thank you for teaching me about the importance of family and history and connection. I could always count on you to give me the latest news on all of my aunts, uncles and cousins. I loved hearing the stories about your parents, grandparents and brothers and sisters. You have such an enormous heart, filled with love for everyone who has ever touched your life. That is rare gift and something that I’ve tried to emulate in my own life. I want to be the kind of person who delights in the accomplishments of others without any jealousy. I want to be generous in my compliments and to be able to make the people in my life feel as important as you always made me feel.
Grandma I miss you so much. I love you and I will always treasure the time we got to spend together. You helped to make me the woman I am today. You make me want to be a better person and more disciplined person. You make me want to be the kind of person who gives her all for the benefit of her family. Thank you for your love. Thank you for your encouragement. Thank you for your forgiveness and patience. Thank you for your example. Thank you for inspiring me to be a better person.
I’m so grateful for my testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I’m so grateful for Forever Families. Thank you again for EVERYTHING!

4 comments:

Jeanna said...

I just knew you would say something today, and I knew it would be perfect.

Thank you Holley!

Even though it was very difficult to understand what grandma was saying last night, she said a few things that were pretty neat.

She said she didn't get to see everything she wanted to see.

and

She said she had had a lot of people to love.

I'm so proud to call her grandma.

Jules said...

Those are all my thoughts, yet I could not have said it better than you did. Thank you! Last night was difficult and wonderful all at the same time. Grandma knew she was surrounded by people who loved her and she knows there are people on the other side waiting to greet her. She really did live an amazing life. My favorite moment from last night was holding her hand and feeling the power of her rush through me. I will miss her, but I know she will be happier where she is going. I hope you get home soon, I want to share this with you.

Kelly Boyle said...

Thanks Holley. I wrote a little something on the family website. It isn't as eloquently said as you said yours. I wish I had your gift. I love you and can't wait to see you again. I love you Grandma and we will see you again.

Katie said...

I wish I could have known your grandma during her "better" years. Although I will say that she always had a smile on her face and I loved that little giggle she did when she's look at her great grandkids. She loved babies! And the kiddos. She never got annoyed with them which is truly admirable. A very pleasant lady that for sure was a beauty even in her old age. We will miss her but celebrate the fact that she is in her prime now enjoying others who have gone before.

Blog Archive