Honey Bee

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Hearts for Haiti

Back in 1994 I was living with my family in Southern California when the big Northridge Earthquake hit. It was horribly frightening. We had after shocks for weeks and we were without power and running water for a week. At the time I had toddlers in diapers.

Fortunately for me, my family was able to help us out a little bit and we had food storage and emergency supplies that helped us get through the event relatively unscathed.

I cannot even imagine the horror that mothers in Haiti are facing today!

My heart is breaking for the people of Haiti. This disaster is so much bigger in scale than anything I have ever encountered. It is on par or worse than the effects of Hurricane Katrina because this Nation is the poorest in the Western Hemisphere. They do not have the money or infrastructure to deal with a disaster of this magnitude.

I was listening to NPR radio yesterday and heard an interview with former president Bill Clinton. Normally this would cause me to change stations but I listened. It was said in the interview that the biggest needs right now are medical supplies with food and shelter needs also rising at an alarming rate.

We Can Help!!! Just $10 will buy a much needed medical kit that will be sent immediately to Haiti. It’s almost the weekend. Think about how you might frivolously spend just $10 and instead of that purchase donate it to a relief fund for Haiti.

You can text “HAITI” to 90999 to donate $10 to American Red Cross relief for Haiti or you can make a donation HERE and click on the "Donate Now" button.

If you are member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints or even if you are not, you can Go HERE to read about how the church is helping out and how you can make a donation.

Now for the answers to yesterdays quiz.

Montana – Boy
Evann – Girl (I like that rule Becky…I’ll have to remember that one for next time!)
Elliot- Girl
Jordan – Boy and Girl
Taylor – Boy and Girl
Bari – Girl
Hollace – Boy
Hollis – Boy
Quinlan – Girl
Tory – Boy
Mykel – Boy
Devon – Girl
Sian – Girl
Sheehan – Girl
Kirby - Girl

WOW y’all (remember that’s North Carolinian for You all) we have a two way tie between the lovely and clever Julie and the equally lovely and clever Becky. With 10 points each I award you co-Baby Naming Queens of the Universe. I decree that everyone in the world must consult you first before naming his or her child. This is quite a distinctive honor only given out here at Wild Berry Punch, because we are that powerful my friends!

4 comments:

Kathy said...

I'm related to Julie and Becky - the co queens - just thought I'd mention that...

and thank you for your thoughts on Haiti

Julie J. said...

I'm totally feeling for the Haitians right now. We lived in San Jo for the 89 quake and we were blessed with up to date buildings and other resources to deal with the after math. Not nearly as much devestation but still a very scary experience.

As for the quiz --- BOOYAA! There are several people who SHOULD have consulted me before naming their children and didn't... Too bad their children hae to pay the price for that. :)

Jeanna said...

Darn! Oh well...I didn't consult Julie or Becky on my baby names and I am 100% ok with that.....not to sound snarky or anything, but I totally dig my choice in names.

But, I don't mind naming girls with boy names....just won't do it in reverse. :)

(My word verification is "peril," I hope that isn't some kind of fortune-telling device you have there!)

Lucy said...

Oh, my, I didn't bother to look that you had already declared winners. Oops, I should look EVERY day!

Congratulation to the co-queens of names!!!!

Blog Archive