This weekend Spring and the coming of Summer were made glaringly apparent to me while I was in Target. You cannot always count on Mother Nature to let you know what season you are in. I think we can all agree that weather is fickle, but Target will always know! The reason I know its Spring/Summer is because this is my favorite time of all...Colorful Plastic Dinnerware Season!
I don’t know if I’ve ever mentioned that I suffer from the affliction of the Target Seasonal Aisle. I am helpless against the summer plates, cups, coolers, napkins, picnic blankets, etc.
When I get these things, I truly believe that I will throw an impromptu party for my friends on the lawn or picnic in some exotic location. Never mind the fact that the yard is a disaster and I’ve not enjoyed that magical convergence of time and money at exactly the same moment in quite some time, so that I can do some landscaping. And lets not forget that it is a struggle to get dinner on the table for just us.
However I have always stayed true to my Girl Scout oath! You always gotta be prepared dontchaknow…maybe that’s Boy Scouts, but I was a den leader in cub scouts for 7 years so I think I can consider myself a defacto Boy Scout.
Everyone is tightening up his or her budgets these days and I am no exception. However I have a unique system for avoiding spending which I’m willing to share with you as a service to humanity.
When I go into Target, but I really don’t want to spend any money, I get a cart. There are no guarantees in life, except for this: If I push a wonky germy cart all over the store I will find nothing. Nothing. And then I will abandon the cart somewhere in house wares and then leave the store having not spent one dime (except for a diet coke and a petit vanilla scone at the in-store Starbucks - which is sustenance people, not spending per se. And for the record per se means “true in circumstance” which means somewhat not true.)
However.
If I don’t get a cart, I will find everything I’ve ever been looking for, for 75% off. So if you are in Target and you see someone making her way towards the registers with her arms overflowing and attempting to carry stuff on her head and you are wondering why she just doesn’t get a cart - that’s me working out the details on my new economic theory.
Now you may be thinking, why not just stay home, why not just not go to Target. Haven’t quite worked out that part either.
I don’t know why I didn’t buy anything at Target. Not a single cute platter for my delicious fictional Hors d'oeuvres that I would serve YOU if you came to visit me here in outer Mongolia.
Either I've either already purchased everything there is to purchase, I'm growing up, or, maybe it's just an "off" year, but, I'm underwhelmed by the Colorful Plastic Dinnerware aisle at Target this year.
I'm kind of sad, really.
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
We always joke that Grandma White is addicted to Costco. It doesn't matter what she needs, she will spend a ton of money in Costco if she goes. I'm sure you've been there with her. Anyway I always make this joke to her like she goes to Costco shoppers anonymous. So to you just say "Hi, my name is Holley and I haven't been to Target in xxx amount of days".
I guess I should be glad Target is a whopping 20 minutes away and with my little windows of time I rarely go in there. Walmart does not hold the same appeal thank goodness.
Man, this economy is doing crazy things to all of us...I have been dodging Target as well....its just amazing how quickly those 75% off items add up.
Post a Comment