
Can someone please explain to me, how this sweet little boy could possibly be old enough to date, drive a car and graduate from high school next year.
A lot of you have babies, toddlers, even grade schoolers. And I know, you think you have so much time.
You don't.
You think you'll cherish every moment, remember every first, relish every milestone.
You won't.
You think that you will never again have a second to yourself, your life will never be your own, and you'll never enjoy the luxury of sleeping through the night ever again.
You will.
The years go by like quicksilver. Trite but true; time flies on wings so swift and stealthy one scarcely has time to realize that life is passing with disconcerting relentlessness.
Yesterday. It was only yesterday.
I remember the day he brought this picture home from school. We had just moved to North Carolina and Wes was in Kindergarten. I was so pleased with how the school photographer perfectly captured my sweet, yet mischievous boy.
Despite the clarity with which I can recall these moments, my son has, nevertheless, become a boy on the brink of manhood.
His hands are larger than mine. They are no longer chubby little starfish. They have taken on that grown up look of strength and competence. Those impossibly large hands will one day cradle the head of his own newborn child. They will hold another small hand as they cross a busy street. They will steady a heavy bat, or balance a wobbly ballerina.
His shoulders are broad and he walks with a cocky, sure gait. But there are still days when the only thing that makes him feel better is a hug from mom. I crept into his room this morning and watched him sleep realizing that he will be weighted with adult burdens soon. His legs are like tree trunks, McGiven genes I think, feet large and calloused like an athletes. Now they make him clumsy and a bit awkward. Someday, they will make him seem like an invincible giant as a little neck cranes upward.
Today he is 17! Tomorrow he takes the SAT and we will start the college choosing and planning process. As I was filling out the test registration and paying the bill I couldn’t believe that I was doing this for my BABY!
Yesterday. It was only yesterday.
Happy Birthday Wes, you will forever by my BABY!
3 comments:
Oh, you've put tears in my eyes. I seriously wish Sam could stop growing.
I have a baby, too. And though he isn't nearly as big and grown up as your baby, he is still my baby and will forever be my baby, 17, 27, 37. My baby.
Thanks for helping me put it all into perspective.
Happy B-day Wes!!
Great post...as always. Happy Birthday Wes! We love you!
Just the other day I was looking at a picture of Gary Jr. on the floor playing with Brien and Wes. How quickly the tables turn!
Post a Comment