Well friends and family, I now have a son who is a high school graduate. There was much celebrating and I want my family who traveled out to know how much we appreciated your coming to share in this big event in Brien’s life. As soon as I find my camera cord I will post some pictures and the video of Brien getting his diploma so you can feel as if you were there too. I know you’ve all been waiting for this with baited breath. Oh and what does that phrase mean “BAITED” breath? But I digress as I usually do.
I don’t know if its because I’m depressed at being left to suffer in North Carolina without my extended family or if I’m suffering from a severe case of Baylee Separation anxiety (she is the cutest, sweetest, softest, giggliest baby ever!!) or its just the usual Holley silliness, but if there were a poster child for the ridiculous , it would be me. I don’t go looking for the ridiculous, it just seems to find me.
Today I noticed an emerging zit on my chin. Carefully applied my super-de-doopery zit medicine. Prided myself for not messing with the zit. Discovered later that it wasn’t a zit. It was a smudge of peanut butter and sugar-free raspberry jam.
Last night I stopped by the dry cleaners to pick up a sweater I had dropped off. The clerk disappeared into the back where the mystery of dry cleaning occurs. I heard a lot of rustling of plastic and Korean chatter before the clerk appeared and said, “No sweata give me phone number” I gave her the phone number and she punched in some buttons and said “No sweata” and shrugged her shoulders. And then she said something in Korean to the other workers and everyone started laughing. Went home and found the “sweata” hanging neatly in the dry cleaning plastic in the closet. I had already picked it up. Needless to say I will be finding a new dry cleaner because who lets a crazy woman pick up her sweater before she is mentally prepared to do so.
Called my insurance company about Brien’s accident and as I was going through what they would pay versus what I would pay I realized that my entire summer entertainment fund is now going to be eaten up by deductibles and down payment on another car. Apparently State Farm has needs too and their needs trump mine. Even though I’ve paid more than the national debt in insurance premiums over the years, they need the money more than I do…or so they say. But no, I’m not bitter.
Coasted into the gas station on fumes. Removed gas cap and began pumping gas. Knocked gas cap off its holder. Falls to the ground. Rolls under the car. Beyond my reach. Searched car for gas cap retrieving device. Cursed myself for cleaning car. Crawled under the car and retrieved gas cap. Tried to pretend that I didn’t have my nose centimeters from someone’s gum. Why didn’t I just pull forward and retrieve it you ask… well that would have just been too easy and I don’t do things the easy way. I thrive on challenge people.
Reached up to scratch an itch on my ear as I was walking into a meeting. Caught my watch on my sweater. Sweater and watch lock in bizarre interspecies mating ritual. Sat through the meeting with a potential new staff member in my office with a watch hanging from the front of my sweater and probably axle grease in my hair. Tried to look normal.
And it’s only Tuesday...
I’m missing my family terribly and having to deal with the inconvenience of shopping for another car and trying to work out how to deal with Brien’s life. All I want to do is go to the park with my sweet niece Sydney and my awesome nephew Cooper and play “Uh Oh Spaghetti O tag” with the kids giving me high 5’s every time they went down the slide. (That was one of the highlights of my week, I love my nieces and nephews and my brothers and sisters and my mom and dad and my cousins and my second cousins once removed … ah I just love everybody, especially if you don’t live in North Carolina!)
I hope all of you are able to avoid the ridiculousness that seems to invade my life every time I decide to get out of bed!!
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
After I graduated I spent weeks feeling sorry for myself, totally depressed. After a big event, where there is celebration and out of towners, it is such a let down to deal with real life again.
Glad you had fun, but take care of yourself during this transition. Especially since this summer is going to get really ugly, temperature-wise, in outer Mongolia.
All my love...
I noticed you didn't mention Grandma White in the last part. You mentioned all the little kids... I guess I am not that important :) We had a wonderful time with you, the stroganoff was delicious. have a great summer!
Love Grandma White
Holley,
We really had a great time visiting with you and the family. It was nice just to hang out, eat good food and get to talk and visit with my Sis. I miss you so much already. Man we gotta get into some money so that we can either live by each other or visit lots. Thanks for being the best hostest with the mostest. Take care and don't let things get you down. Life is too short. I love you tons and Baylee misses her Aunt Holley.
Post a Comment