Honey Bee

Friday, May 30, 2008

Times when it's all worth it!

Last night was Brien's senior band concert and he was a featured soloist in the Jazz ensemble. He is also the winner of the Louis Armstrong award for excellence in Jazz music performance.

It's been a rough year with a lot of pressures like SAT tests and college applications and let's not forget the great US History debacle this past fall. But in the end I have to say that I am so completely awed by Brien.

He is an amazing young man and I know that if he puts his mind to it, he will accomplish great things.

He and I have sort of been at odds with each other. He is trying to grow-up and I'm trying to keep him my little boy. But last night, I could see that he has crossed the threshold to young adulthood. He still has a ways to go in his maturity level, but he is a wonderful young man.

The video is the Jazz Ensemble playing the James Bond theme with Brien featured on high brass. Sorry for the poor video quality. The other video is My Funny valentine with Brien again as the featured soloist.

I wish you all could have been there to see him shine. He has quite the performance planned for all of the family coming out for graduation.

You all should be getting your graduation announcements soon!!! By the end of June he will be a high school graduate, an Eagle Scout, a camp director for YMCA, a member of the Fire of the Carolinas marching band and a freshman at Elon University. That's an impressive resume for an 18 year old kid.

2 comments:

Katie said...

What a talented kid! (or should I say man?!) We too are so proud of Brien and all of his accomplishments. Way to go!

McGiven Family.... said...

That is so awesome! He is such a good kid! We are so excited for him and all the new adventures that are coming his way!

Blog Archive