Honey Bee

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Southern Fried Culture

I’m telling you living in North Carolina has exposed me to all manner of strange cultural phenomena. Let me tell y’all (remember that’s North Carolinian for you all) about my latest exposure to southern culture…I was in Target the other day (notice how I’ve been staying away from Walmart lately), when I heard a rather loud whistle from nearby.

I turned around in time to see a man walk by. I looked at the other lady in the aisle with me so that we might commiserate on the weirdness that calls itself humankind in North Carolina, and she said:

"Oh, that was me."

As I was contemplating why she might be "hootey-hooing" in the middle of Target, she went on to say, "What can I say? I married into a family with a 'Family Whistle' ".
And, sure enough, I heard a fainter "hootey-hoo" from off in the distance.
"See? That was my husband, I found him."

She went on her way and caught up with her whistling soulmate.

I still can't decide if it's odd, or a good idea, or, both since our Family Whistle which is more like a shout goes something like, "HEY! Get back over here right now and stop your covetous roaming in the store.”

Not nearly as lyrical as "hootey-hoo", but effective most of the time.

And sometimes when we’re being really prepared and we want to have some shopping privacy like at Christmas time yet we all have to go shopping together at the same store, we use walkie-talkies. Obnoxious yet effective.

What can I say, I married into a family that likes nifty gadgets and consumer stealth operations.

for your viewing pleasure.... some pictures of my silly boys I live with.

7 comments:

Katie said...

I prefer cell phones...when they actually work in the store. Cute pics of the boys. I just realized that you're out numbered just like me. :) We definitely need to do a girls outing when we come. Start planning! just kidding. ice cream and girl talk is good with me.

Cote Corner said...

hhhmm.. im not sure if it's a good idea or not either. Pretty clever though. But I'm with Katie, cell phones are great for that kind of a thing!

Julie J. said...

We totally have a family whistle and it is so useful.... We use it to call Sam in from playing outside, and yes, when we can't see each other in a store, or when one of us can see the other but the other is not looking in the right direction... It's not good though when Matt goes into Sacrament meeting with out us and when I can't see where he's sitting, I get the urge to whistle so he'll turn around and wave his hand.

Masters Of Disasters said...

What a cute family! You guys always seem to be having lots of fun. Ya I'm on your side, We have a family yell. If I could whistle, maybe I would do that, but only a few were blessed with such an ability!

Jules said...

I have some bad memories of the whole whistling thing. A former unnamed person in my life from like 17 years ago used to whistle for me when he needed to find me. This was before cell phones and cool walkie talkies. Some people just can't get with new technology so they use the old methods. I actually think it's kind of endearing to have a family whistle like the Johnsons.

Brittany said...

Brandon totally does the whistle thing. The problem is that I can't whistle, so its just me aimlessly walking around the store looking for him. I often resort to the cell phone!! And lets be honest I have followed a whistle before that wasn't Brandon. Gotta love that!!

Brittany said...

Brandon totally does the whistle thing. The problem is that I can't whistle, so its just me aimlessly walking around the store looking for him. I often resort to the cell phone!! And lets be honest I have followed a whistle before that wasn't Brandon. Gotta love that!!

Blog Archive