A couple of weeks ago our library was having a used book sale and I spotted a book by Christian author Warren Wiersbe called, God Isn’t in a Hurry: Learning to Slow Down and Live, for .50 cents I thought it might have a few nuggets of wisdom, so I bought it. I must say that while I find this book a bit cliché’ there are several bumper-sticker type phrases that punctuate his stories and stick in my head (or he weaves in others’ quotes for the same purpose). I find myself pondering many of his points and ruminating on them. Here are some examples:
“Why has God made me this way?” a suffering saint once bitterly asked her pastor. Gently, he replied, “God has not made you–he is making you.” (p. 9)
Identification with the world and its needs is one thing; imitation of the world and its foolishness is quite another. (p. 36)
Spiritual simplicity is a matter of priorities, not possessions. (p. 21)
[Abraham's] singleness of vision produced simplicity of life, even in the midst of affluence. (p. 21)
I once heard the late Jacob Stam pray, “Oh Lord, the only thing most of us know about sacrifice is how to spell the word!” (p. 22)
After that quote, he wrote that our “luxuries have become necessities, and we refuse to give them up for the sake of others.” (p. 22)
“Jesus warned that our lives are not measured by the amount of things we accumulate or by the number of activities we are involved in (see Luke 12:15). Jesus became poor to make us rich, but we have determined to become rich, and thus we make ourselves poor.” (p. 141)
Wiersbe goes on to say, “All of us are grateful for the comforts of life, but we need to beware lest these creature comforts become masters instead of servants. It is good to have the things that money can buy provided we don’t lose the things that money can’t buy.” (p. 141)
I have been reading this book and going through my May Ensign that contains all of the conference talks. This past conference was extremely powerful. The messages all seemed to point to the same thing, these are the last days and we need to be prepared and not procrastinate the day of our repentance and we need to guard against being sidetracked by worldly possessions and attitudes. One talk that has been particularly thought provoking is the one given by Elder W. Craig Zwick of the Seventy “We Will Not Yield, We Cannot Yield: Live by Your Standards, Stand Up for What You Believe in.” So many amazing truths in that talk, I recommend that you all go back and read it.
Yesterday I went and voted in the North Carolina primary and as I was standing in line, I kept thinking about how important it is stand as witnesses at all times and in all places. We never know who is watching and what messages our examples are sending out into the world. I also thought of the talk by Sister Beck from the October conference about “Standing Strong and Immovable.” While I was standing in that line, I felt a tremendous sense of comfort and gratitude for the gospel. My attitude about politics is very cynical right now because I know that things in this world will only get worse. It is going to take every ounce of spiritual strength I have to prepare myself and my family for the days that lie ahead. But I know that with constant prayer and obedience to the principles of the gospel, that I can weather any storm that comes my way.
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment