Honey Bee

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A Month of "Lasts"

13 years ago Brien was finishing up his "FIRST" year of school. That year, everything was new and I was experiencing everything for the first time. The first school programs. The first parent/teacher conferences. The first school fundraisers. We were helping Brien to learn to read and write. He was mastering some simple math and school was all about good snacks and if you could have your nap mat next to your best friend. These days its all about the "LAST" time I'll go to a parent/teacher conference. The last band booster meeting, the last fundraiser, the last high school awards banquet.

Lately I find myself looking back and wondering if I did everything I could to make sure Brien got the best education possible. Did he have enough character building experiences. Did he have a fun childhood. Each and every "LAST" that we are experiencing is making me long for the days of firsts. It went by way to fast. I blinked a couple of times and now here we are just 6 weeks until Brien graduates from high school. While I know that we have some pretty important firsts ahead of us, first day of college, first serious girlfriend, first and I hope only marriage and first grandchild, I am in mourning. It really feels as if last night I put my baby to bed and when I went in the next morning I found a grown-man. He's tall and handsome. He's talented and smart and while he's not perfect, he's everything he should be right now.

So this month as we experience all of our "Lasts" together, I will relish each and every moment and put on my bravest face. My only regret is that I never invested in Kleenex because I am certain that I alone will be responsible for the company's highest earnings on record.

My advice to all of you is to enjoy and relish all of your FIRSTS, MIDDLES and LASTS and be present in all of those moments. Don't let the hustle and bustle of life take away those fleeting precious moments with your families. I am grateful that Brien is not an only child and I still have some of my own "MIDDLES" to experience with Wesley. I hope that by the time we are dealing with Wes' "LASTS" I'll be a little more emotionally prepared..... who are we kidding, I'll be a mess then too.

4 comments:

Jeanna said...

I am so grateful that I have a sensitive trailblazer/pioneer to whom I can look for appropriate advice for parenting.

A cousin of harold's just had her first baby and what I wanted to tell her was "welcome to motherhood, the eternal guilt trip." Not very sensitive, I know.

But you have always been very insightful when it comes to child rearing. Despite all the questions, the what ifs, the shoula, coulda, woulda's of this life, I know that you and Dane have produced some fine young men.

McGiven Family.... said...

I am a mess reading this. What an exciting time for you and your family! Brien is such a great kid and we are so excited for his future! We will be thinking about yout these next few weeks! Good luck!

Jules said...

I love Brien. I'm glad I get to be there for one of his lasts, I missed a lot of his firsts. I wish you could live closer, so we could experience these firsts and lasts together, I am convinced it would be easier for both of us. Garrett starts his first day of school in a few months, I promise to enjoy it and relish the time I have with him and my other precious kids. Thanks for the insight.

Katie said...

My mom couldn't wait for me to be on my way...ok so I'm kidding. I keep looking at my boys and try to take in the moments. Like Broox dancing to commercials during American Idol in his pull-ups. Yep, its on film and I know he'll love watching it when he's older. :)

On a more serious note. You are an awesome mom! I love all of your advice. Just what a little sista needs.

Blog Archive