Not much time to blog today. But I had to sign on for just a minute and share my pain with all of you.
Fmr. Pres. Bill Clinton is coming to Elon's campus on Wednesday. Because my office deals with all of the PR needs, my supervisor and I have been in Secret Service briefings for the past two days discussing how to set-up for this mega event. The funny thing is he is going to drive into campus, make a quick 20 minutes speech and then leave. You would not believe the hoopla and @%#* kissing that must be done.
Now I realize that this is good exposure for Elon because any publicity is good publicity, especially since our male admissions numbers are down. But the furor that surrounds the Clinton family is nauseating. I'm really getting tired of the pseudo hero worship that is so prevalent in our society. Most of our politicians have sold their ethical souls a long time ago.
Our elected officials are so out of touch with the average American. They don't know what it's like to struggle from paycheck to paycheck. They don't know what its like to worry about medical bills and trying to get things done on a senior's fixed income. We are constantly hearing about misappropriation of funds, moral failings and deceit along both/all party lines. I don't see how these people can truly represent us if they have not lived like the rest of us. It makes me sick to think that the only real way to get elected is to have tons of money. Money that could be spent to help the poor, offset medical care, prop up Social Security, provide better benefits to our soldiers. The money being spent on this next election is staggering.
My husband doesn't vote because he feels like it is completely pointless. I'm starting to think he's right. There will be no righteous government until the Lord returns. I feel like as a conservative, I am surrounded by liberals. My boys have had many very "liberal" minded teachers who have tried indoctrinating their students. Sometimes Dane and I have a real fight on our hands correcting the misinformation given to the boys by their teachers. Here we are trying to teach our boys to respect authority and to listen to their teachers and we find ourselves having to constantly defend our point of view.
I can not testify enough of the importance and value of regular scripture, family prayer and family home evening lessons. Parents must be involved in how our children's minds are being moulded. We have found that these times are the perfect opportunity to clarify and teach and attempt to keep our boys on the correct path. It is so hard. Those of you who have young families, make this a priority now. You've got to keep the lines of communication open and repetition, constant vigilance and Divine guidance are the only tools we have to combat the evil in society today.
I will now get down off of my soap box and go to my next security briefing.
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am often telling Justin that we need to start our FHE's right now! I've noticed even in primary that there are certain children that know their scripture stories a lot better, and I believe that it is because of FHE. It is so scary to think what the world will be like when my kids are in H.S. We can only do our best. Teach them, and let them govern themselves right?
We started FHE when our kids were young. I have heard so many young parents say that they don't know what the big deal is when their kids are small. I disagree. Even if the kids get NOTHING out of it, the parents are starting a habit that needs to be in place by the time the kids are old enough to parcticipate, even in the smallest way.
I'll admit, having a former president come to campus would be exciting, politics or not. Of course I would prefer one with scruples! :)
Part of the fun, I would think, would be the Secret Service meetings. Do you think they have done any kind of research on you? And read your blog? That would be interesting.
Dear Mr/s. SS man/woman,
We don't agree with the man you protect, not in politics, nor in moral ethics or lack thereof. So there. But I completely respect the job you do.
I totally agree now that I've had the opportunity to live outside of Utah. For example, everyone says the Lord's name in vein like its NOTHING...I get so bugged. Broox came home from school saying it. Long story short, I addressed the situation tactfully and at the next parent/teacher conference she laughingly let my know that Broox corrects her when she slips. She told me that Broox is the epitome of childhood innocence. She said that kids come to school knowing too much...He's 4!! I've decided that I can't control what he's exposed to outside of the home (to a certain degree) but while he's at home I will do my best to keep him pure.
Thanks for the FHE reminder. We need to do much better in that department.
And yes, I agree that politicians are talking out of their A@#!
Post a Comment