Honey Bee

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Belated St. Patrick's Day Wishes to All


I don't know where my head was yesterday. I neglected to post about that perennially "Irish" holiday, St. Patrick's day. Me Da will be that ashamed. So wishes to all of you and I hope you didn't have to put up with much blarney. Here is a poem that I think is hilarious. Dad I hope you don't get too mad.

Genealogy
By Lillian Livingston Woolley

My mother's eyes were Irish; _My father's eyes
were, too, _And all my lovely sisters _Had eyes of
Irish blue.

And when the boys, they came along, _Ah, sure,
they did beguile, _For each of them was surely
blessed _With a splendid Irish smile.

And proud we were of Irish blood _As pure as
shamrock green, _As sturdy an Irish family _As
ever could be seen.

And then we joined the Mormon Church- _Ah,
surely that was grand! _And with true Irish vigor
_We answered each demand.

We kept the Word of Wisdom; _We paid our
tithing, too. _We all did every little thing _That
we were asked to do.

We did our genealogy _There, duty was all fun.
_With joyful pride we studied hard _About each
Irish son, We wrote it on the family chart _(We
wrote it all in green); _Each Irish name we added
on, _Each fellow, each colleen.

And then there came that frightful day _The
shock we had to bear! _Father came home looking
pale; _We gathered 'round his chair.

And mother's Irish eyes were sad; _Father's eyes
were, too. _And sister's eyes were full of tears
_That washed the Irish blue.

My brothers' splendid Irish smiles _Soon faded all away, _And all
our Irish tongues were stilled, _For there was naught to say.
This thing our father told us- _Believe it?
We could not! _

For in our Irish line he found _Great-Grandpa
was a Scot!

3 comments:

Jules said...

That was hilarious. I blew off St patty's day to. I mean of course it was a big deal in the elementary school crowd but here at home we didn't celebrate much.

Katie said...

I don't get it. I know I shouldn't admit it publicly through cyberspace. I'll have Gary tell me what a Scot is. (Scottish?)

We had green pancakes and eggs for dinner. Woo Hoo!

Holley said...

Katie - Because my Dad served his mission in Ireland, he is adamant that we "McGiven's" that is, are Irish. There is some evidence that we are Scots or Scottish, but my dad insists that is not true. After all the Coat of Arms was found in Ireland! So the poem just reminds me of my Dad and our family's "IRISH" pride!

Blog Archive