Honey Bee

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Kevin and the Shamrock Shake


(Doesn't he look almost identical to Peyton?)
Today is March 19th and for the McGiven family that means its Kevin’s birthday. For me, it is also the anniversary of the first time I had a Shamrock Shake from McDonalds. Now if you have ever had a Shamrock Shake you know that they are vanilla mint shakes. They are smooth, cool, creamy with a bite of minty spice and they are green which is way trendy right now. The reason I bring this up is because by the time Kevin came along, I was pretty used to being the “BIG” sister and so adding another kid to the family was not a big deal at the time. I truly was more interested in the fact that my Grandma White was coming to take care of us while Mom recuperated in the hospital. And you all know what it means when Grandma White comes to visit.... it means shopping and treats!

Every afternoon in March during cartoon hour I had been subjected to commercials featuring Uncle O’Grimacy and these really fun “IRISH” themed commercials. Well growing up in the Gary McGiven household means we are all about anything “IRISH.” (Jeanna, no “but we are from Scotland” comments here. This is supposed to be about my fascination with Shamrock shakes and Kevin’s birthday. So no geneology fights today!) The McDonalds marketing scheme was powerful for a 9 year old kid, considering her upbringing.



March 19th was the Pot O’Gold at the end of the rainbow day! Grandma took us all to McDonalds for lunch and I finally got to have a Shamrock Shake and I was in heaven at the time.

Now every March I am on the lookout for the now elusive Shamrock Shake! And I will never forget Kevin’s birthday because it is intricately tied to that childhood memory.

Upon further analysis I have come to realize that it was no accident that Kevin was born in the year that McDonalds launched the Shamrock Shake.

Kevin is smooth and charming and we all know that he is one COOL Leprechaun, and he has a pinch of that spicy/minty Irish blarney in him, but there is always that underlying sweetness! Kevin is the personification of the Shamrock Shake!

So please join me in raising a “Pint of Shamrock Shake” to my little brother Kevin!
May you always be blessed; with walls for the wind, a roof for the rain, a warm meal by the fire, laughter to cheer you, those you love near you and all that your heart might desire. You are an amazing man, you have an incredible family and I am proud to be your sister!

2 comments:

Jules said...

I don't remember going to McDonald's that day, but I do remember sleeping at our neighbors the night before. When we came out of the house in the morning we saw Grandma's car and knew right away that Mom must have had the baby. You have an amazing memory, I had no idea Shamrocks shakes were introduced that year. Kevin is wonderful, I too hope he has a great birthday.

Masters Of Disasters said...

You are such a great sister, we wish you lived closer. I'll have to tell Kevin to check out your blog, so he can see your tribute to him!

Blog Archive