I have been thinking a lot lately about “being in the world but not OF the world.” I have some personal struggles lately and I am worried about how my example is perceived by my boys.
Somewhere, sometime, I read this great quote and I wish I knew where I read it so I could give the speaker credit, or at the very least get the quote right rather than mangling it as I'm sure I am about to do.
Essentially, it went like this: It seems that Christians have made it our main purpose to create a Christian alternative to the culture we live in. The problem is, as Christians, it should not be our purpose to mimic the world, even if we're doing it in a cleaned-up format.” That is so true our purpose should be to stand as a witness of Christ in all places and at all times, after all that is the covenant we make at baptism.
Here's one I did find, with similar sentiments: "Millions of Christian parents want to appear to be relevant in their children's eyes, and to provide gifts that fit within the mainstream of postmodern society. The problem is that many of the entertainment products that meet those criteria conflict with the moral precepts of the Christian faith. Parents have to make a choice as to what is more important: pleasing their kids' taste and sensibilities, or satisfying Heavenly Father’s standards as defined in the scriptures. ... Many Christian parents are striving to serve two conflicting masters: society and Heavenly Father. They refuse to believe that they cannot satisfy both."
And as long as I'm throwing quotes around, one more that I don't know the origin of but illuminates, pretty accurately, I think, who Christians are really following: Show me what the world is doing now, and I'll show you what the church will be doing in seven years.
It is not always easy to live in the world and not be a part of it.
“We cannot live entirely with our own or unto ourselves, nor would we wish to. We must mingle with others. In so doing, we can be gracious. We can be inoffensive. We can avoid any spirit or attitude of self-righteousness. But we can maintain our standards. The natural tendency will be otherwise, and many have succumbed to it.” Gordon B. Hinkley
I admit that I fall into this thinking too often. Sure, we have made some different decisions to the culture and society that surrounds us. To not get "too out there". To follow Christ and still be "normal". I would listen and nod my head to all the scripture verses that warned, even instructed, that as a follower of Christ I be different, set apart. But I figured that wearing a modest swimsuit and returning the money when the cashier gave me too much change and being choosy about movies and music was more than adequate to set me apart. Don't I check "Christian" when the forms ask for religious preference? See? Set apart.
Yes, I was a regular hero of the faith.
The more time goes by, the more I realize that purposing to live my life for Christ means more than just checking the box. It means giving every part of my life to Christ. Rather than asking myself, "Is there something wrong with doing this?" I should be asking myself, "If I were looking only to the scriptures for guidance, and not to society's norms, is this the choice I would make?"
It's simple, but not easy. What I want and would enjoy is often in contrast to what I should do. But I don't want my teenagers doing what everyone else is doing and know that they learned that behavior from me.
I think I should be modeling more of a willingness to sacrifice my worldly pleasures. I need to be choosier about tv and movies and books. I don’t want to be a hypocrite to my boys or someday my grandchildren. I want to more fully embrace my faith and live the standards of the Gospel.
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment