Honey Bee

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Coccyx - um ..... yeah, that??!!

I’ve come to the conclusion that my butt has been injured without my personal knowledge. Yes, you read right - the who, what, when, where, and how of the situation baffles me. It isn’t actually my BUTT, but instead, my tailbone, that feels like I fell off a bike, horse, out of a tree, off a chair, or SOMETHING. I don’t think my husband has been using me for a kicking post at night, but how can I account for this? Sudden tailbone pain. It hurts! Maybe this is residual injury from my recent episode with the treadmill.

So, I get to work and immediately start Googling to looking up tailbone pain this morning and that got me nowhere - except I learned how to spell coccyx. Coccyx. Who thought of THAT one? I thought learning to spell diarrhea was bad - I’ll never remember how to spell coccyx. It totally doesn’t fit into any phonics diddy I’ve ever learned. “C before C and after C. Oh, and toss in a y and an x.” Sure. I follow.

But get this - a woman’s coccyx points outward, while a man’s curves inward - something about childbirth … blah blah blah. Further proof that things simply are easier on men. If my coccyx was turned inward maybe it wouldn’t be hurting. It’s an evil plot.

I’m now sitting on a pillow. A PILLOW. That doesn’t even feel good. I’ve considered how I could suspend myself from the ceiling. No really, I have. I’m not 80. I’m 40 and I’ve resorted to sitting on a pillow like I just bore a child or had a colonoscopy.

If you have ever had tailbone pain without the angst of actually taking the fall, please do tell - how’d ya make it go away? And do I have more of these mysterious maladies to look forward to as I gracefully age?

4 comments:

Masters Of Disasters said...

All 206 bones have weird names! None of them really make any sense. I studies them for 3 years, and had to make all kinds of dumb rhymes just so i could remember what they were called. Sorry about your pain, you should go get a barbie pool to sit on, that works better than a pillow. It sure sounds like you are busy. You are always doing service for others, keep it up. Your awesome!

Jeanna said...

I have injured my coccyx before, but it was the result of a bounce down a couple of stairs. Good times, good memories.

You must have done something to it, otherwise it would hurt just for the heck of it. I would imagine if you bruised it that in a couple of weeks you will feel better.

You aren't aging gracefully, you are aging celestially. More beautiful now than ever.

April said...

yep, I am familiar iwth that horrible tailbone pain where you do not want to ever sit again. It helped me if I leaned on one cheek vs. sitting straight down. It took the pressure off the tailbone a bit.

If it really hurts you should go get some exrays and make sure it isn't broken, although they can't really do anything for you, but give you a bum pillow, which you already have.

hmm..good luck.

Katie said...

I don't want to go into to much detail over the web but I did deliver a a baby that weighed 9 lbs 14 oz...yeah, I carried a donut shaped pillow around for 6 months before having a painful yet embarrassing surgery.

I DO feel for you!

Blog Archive