
October & November used to just be the month that had Halloween & Thanksgiving. Months where the days got shorter and shorter and you would just feel like hibernating and eating miniature candy bars and pumpkin pie.
However because of global warming or hot flashes, my bedroom is too stuffy. Oh and I have kind of gotten accustomed to eating and living indoors so I have one of those job things that requires I get out of bed and be shackled to my desk for 8 hours.
I have decided that in order to reclaim my sanity that I needed to make some goals for myself, you see the fog is clearing a little because I am now on an estrogen patch (only until I settle down) and some zoloft. Estrogen and Zoloft, who knew that’s all it would take to restore my world to the semi-normal.
So now that the fog is clearing and I don’t feel quite like I did in my doctor’s office the other day, I have decided that I’m going to set some goals. I’m using the Church’s “Pursuit of Excellence” to help me. This program has you setting goals in several different areas of your life. But it encourages you to do it in small manageable chunks. I want to be an excellent person!
I have discovered that you don’t ‘find time’ for anything, You make time. This is especially true when speaking of spiritual nourishment. Often we do not recognize our spiritual hunger pangs for what they really are. We give them other labels: discouragement, depression, anger, resentment, loneliness, self-pity. Yet these are all indications of spiritual starvation.
I’m so grateful for my family and my husband. They have helped me to see things more clearly (along with the estrogen and zoloft). A big thank-you to my incredible sister-in-law Katie, who reminded me to turn to the scriptures and seek out personal edification from good books, and to Jeanna my beautiful cousin, who reminded me that I am worthy to be loved. Satan is working on all of us because we truly are in the last days! Although I eagerly await the arrival of my Lord and Savior, I know that I am not ready. So this fall is the time when I am turning over a new leaf, maybe because they are all falling off the trees and are free for the taking anyway (I told you the fog had started to lift, not completely gone yet).
Here is a picture of my new running sneakers propped up on the table in the break room at work, after I thought about running in them on my lunch break. Just kidding. I didn’t think about it at all. Note that I also have on my yoga pants, and no I have never actually done yoga. I just like to dress up like someone who has athletic aspirations.
Seriously though I am going to ramp up my exercise regime! I don’t think that I’ll end up competing in any 5K runs or triathalons (Gary & Ryan, you rock!), but I do have the goal of becoming fit and healthy.
Please keep me in your prayers as I embark on my pursuit of excellence. Believe me, I need all I can get!
2 comments:
Holley,
Thanks for being such a great example. I am afraid I am guilty of labeling spiritual hunger with things, I am starving, I am depressed, I am discouraged. Thanks for the great reminder. I have been neglectful of the feast I know awaits me if I just open the book with my hungry soul.
The exercise will be great! You will learn to love it.
You have inspired me! You seriously have a way with words. I want to do "the pursuit of excellence" too! Sign me up! Did you just get it off the church website or what? Good luck on the exercising...I found it to be my emotional release. Still can't wait to see you! :) Katie
Post a Comment