Honey Bee

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Can you spell CRAZY!



I am a crazy women!
Not crazy in the eccentric way like my father in law.
No, I mean crazy in the should-be-strapped-down-to-a-table-and-have-electroshock-therapy
kind of way.

Yesterday I joined the ranks of mental patients across the globe!

I was at my GYN appointment and the doctor asked me how I was, if I was experiencing any side affects from my hormone replacement therapy. There was a time recently when my hormones, which have always been unstable, went even more haywire, this coupled with the stress of family stuff, I was not fun to be around. So I answered that I was fine. And just to illustrate how fine I was, I burst into tears. I am fine. But I’m not fine.

I’m not angry and crying anymore. I don’t walk through the house slamming things down on tables and randomly yelling at innocent people, though that is more a testament to my self-control than a lack of desire to do so.

If you were to see me out grocery shopping, I would seem surprisingly normal. I wouldn’t yell or make a scene, even if you cut me off with your cart and grabbed the last package of almond granola bars (Wes’ favorite). I might even smile and make a joke about it. But inside I’d want to tear your face off and then stomp on it for good measure. So this isn’t normal? People at work always comment to me that I am so “calm” and “peaceful” and “patient” and they want to know my secret. I never know what to say because those words do not describe how I feel.

I don’t know how to describe how I feel now, other than a resigned sadness. It’s like an aura that hovers in the air around me, almost palpable at times. I think it maybe seasonal depression. I always get this way as we approach the holidays. You see I live a long way away from any family and I miss them very much. Holiday time is the worst when you don’t live close to my Grandma White, who is the personification of all things Holiday. Upon further analysis that may be why I despise seeing the Christmas stuff out so far in advance. It’s just a big reminder that once again, I won’t be with my extended family! Thank goodness that Gary & Katie live in the Eastern half of the United States now and I at least have Thanksgiving to look forward to, this year. Sadly though, they are only temporary east coasters.

The doctor asked me if I had friends that I talked to. He seemed a bit worried when I asked, “Do you mean in real life?” and responded, “Well, I don’t mean imaginary friends.” That made me laugh because I never thought of the people I know via the internet, (I have become a blog stalker) as imaginary per se. But now I will, because it makes me seem even crazier. And hysterically laughing and crying simultaneously at the doctor’s office, will make him rip out that script pad faster than the speed of light.

Well that and when he asked me what I like to do in my free time. I didn’t want to mention my imaginary friends again or the internet, because nothing screams crazy like blog stalking and there are no 12 step recovery programs that I am aware of. So I said shopping. Which would have been a fine answer, I think, except that he asked shopping for what? And I blurted out, “Groceries!” Goodness gracious why would I say that.

It’s a good thing I didn’t mention the internet, because that would have seemed crazy.

3 comments:

Katie said...

You're not crazy! Hormones can totally mess with your mind and mood. I can somewhat understand what you're going through. I actually have some anxiety issues. It helped me to go to a stress management counselor at work. Even though I did most of the talking, it was nice to have a set of ears that was outside my circle. Does that make sense? I'm sure they have some type of program like that at your work. Then I started to read "Don't sweat the small stuff...and its all small stuff." I remembered one chapter mentioned getting involved with a cause that you believe in....duh, church. I started to read Truth Restored which is a condensed church history. Love it and highly recommend it! I am amazed at what the early saints endured and sacrificed. I am motivated by their example. I've started to read the scriptures too. I'm feeling good right now, but you never know what new challenges life will bring. Also, I do like the blog....I have to limit myself! So did you get a prescription started? There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I know a lot of people who use them. Whatever keeps you sane...when mamma's happy, everybody's happy!

Love, Katie

Jeanna said...

Holley,

I don't know every piece of what you are going through, but hormone imbalance I can totally relate to. When my hormones are off I am a miserable wreck. My bed becomes the only place I want to be. I cry randomly and for no reason other than I am sad, sad, sad. I talked to my doctor about an antidepressant in June but never ended up going on it. Sometimes I wonder about that decision but for the most part, at the moment, I am feeling pretty good. Stressed out, but not depressed.

Stalking blogs doesn't make you crazy, but that is coming from one crazy blog stalker so I am not sure how reliable I am.

I am sorry you are so far away, and that your insides are in turmoil. You know, losing weight really is an emotional journey. As the layers come off, there are feelings exposed that you never wanted to deal with before. I am with Katie, check out your EAP program at work. Go talk to someone and get a RX if it will help. I am thinking about you. You are loved and worth loving.

jeanna

Jeanna said...

Holley,

I loved the patch, but can't wear it because of the cancer. They don't want me having any estrogen and apparently there are no patches with progesterone only. Glad you found some help. The patch made a huge difference, without it was so depressed I could hardly function. I am so sorry you are far away.

By the way, any tips for a cranky preteen girl? She is starting to act like my former preteen self and it is scaring the heck outta me.

Blog Archive