Honey Bee

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

High-Brass Brien!!


Brien is a senior in high school (GASP!). I can’t believe he’s gotten so old and so tall, mostly because that means that I’ve gotten so old and so short! He is truly a wonderful and remarkable kid. He loves music especially JAZZ and his main passion in life is marching band and music performance.

He is a fantastic trumpet player, his instrument of choice, but he can play just about any other instrument in the horn family almost as well as he plays the trumpet. He wants to study music education in college, a path that I think suits him perfectly. He is a great teacher; he has a lot of compassion and empathy and knows how to connect with kids.

This past summer he worked as a life guard and canoe instructor at the Burlington YMCA Day camp and was one of the most beloved of the summer staff, because of his infinite patience and ability to be a silly big kid.

On Saturday, Dane and I had the privilege of traveling with his band to see them compete in a big Marching Band competition. It was a beautiful, sunny day, made better by the fact that our son was performing. The band was incredible and Brien in particular played great. Out of 35 bands they placed 3rd, of course Dane and I thought they deserved better, parents being so objective you know.

I just want Brien to know how much we love him, how proud we are of him and his accomplishments and we know that he will be a success in life! (Note to Brien: You are still grounded from TV until your history grade comes up and you get a good score on the SAT’s, but we really do love you to pieces!)

3 comments:

Jules said...

Brien, your aunt Julie loves you too. I love hearing about all your accomplishments, you really are a remarkable kid. Now if I could just convince you to come to college in Utah I'd be thrilled. Holley and Dane you have done an amazing job raising these two kids, kudos to you. I hope my children are equally as wonderful in their teen years.

Jeanna said...

H&D,

You have the most amazing kids. Brien, we would love to hear you perform! I love going to school events when someone I know is involved, I have tons of school spirit when I am related!

Holley, I read your post on my blog and I am so proud of you. You are inspiring me to pick up my pace and get on the bandwagon. You rock. I knew my dream was prophetic!

Katie said...

Hey Brien,
Make sure you bring your trumpet. We'd love to hear some tunes! I agree with your mom....you are great with kids! Which means I will allow you to babysit while your here in November. :)Katie

Blog Archive