Honey Bee

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Doing the Holiday Hustle


I stopped at my local dollar store yesterday to pick up sandwich bags (yes, I go in there, and yes, I always end up buying more than just sandwich bags) and just beyond the garish Halloween displays right at the front there were… there were…

I can hardly say it, it’s so awful.

There were Christmas decorations. Stop it. STOP IT. It’s not even November yet! Don’t get me wrong I LOVE CHRISTMAS, I was born at Christmas time and my name, Holley Berry, screams Christmas, but I enjoy Thanksgiving too and still tolerate Halloween. I like my world to go a bit slower and relish and enjoy each season and each Holiday.

Is it my imagination, or is the “Christmas season” sneaking ever-further backward? By the time my kids are grown, the season will be starting right after Memorial Day.

Anyway, it reminded me that I wanted to talk to my family a little bit about the upcoming Season O’ Frenzy. So I’ll be talking about this stuff next week in FHE.

If you’re not careful, it’s very easy to get sucked into the whole “I must shop and shop and money is tight and rather than a joy this season is making me want to slit my wrists, right here amongst these bills” mindset.

Not too long ago I read this great book, “The Christmas Jar,” by Jason F. Wright! It was awesome. If you’ve not read the book I won’t spoil it by summarizing the plot, just go out and read it. It made a big difference for me. The premise of the book is about making charity a part of your everyday life; not because it makes you a sainted person, but because it makes you a better person in your own life while helping the lives of others.

In Relief Society I was reminded of this very thing. Recently we talked about service and the teacher gave everyone a challenge, to pick a charity and volunteer at least one day between now and Christmas. It sounds easy enough doesn’t it? But how many of us will do something? And just how many of us will sit back and hand out excuses instead? I include myself in this. If there were a prize for good intentions, you know other than paving the road to Hell, I’d have it.

And so I am going to take up this challenge. I am not sure what exactly I am going to do yet. I do know that I want to include my kids in this endeavor. We have volunteered out our local Food Pantry and the boys had a very eye-opening experience. I think we will make some time for that again and who knows maybe you’ll see us ringing the bell for the Salvation Army, could be an awesome people watching experience.

My children are growing up privileged, it is something that they take for granted. I want to give them a taste of reality. Not every kid has the advantages that they have. I want to teach them that with privilege comes responsibility. And I am not talking about money, giving money is easy. And while it is a good thing, charities always need money, it is also an easy cop out. Giving of yourself is more important. Giving of your time, your spirit, your energy. Teaching my children that everyone is worthy of our time. And that it is infinitely more fulfilling to give a part of yourself than the detached act of writing a check.

And so this holiday season, while we all run around buying presents, decorating our homes, planning our meals, remember that the season to be mindful is all year long. But what better time to start than right now.

Be mindful. You cannot get all worked up over everything being “just perfect” when your focus is on giving of yourself rather than on stuff. How will you help others this year?

The pictures posted with this entry are of Brien at the National Honor Society induction; I'm excited about his participation. They have all sorts of service projects planned. The other picture is of Wesley during our foray to the food pantry.

4 comments:

McGiven Family.... said...

You are such an incredible person! I love reading your posts and seeing what exciting thing you will talk about next. I feel the same way about the Christmas decorations, they have been at Costco for weeks, and it is driving me crazy. I want to get through Thanksgiving and then I will concentrate on Christmas!

Jason Wright said...

Well hey there! So glad you enjoyed Christmas Jars :)

Brittany said...

I love that your posts have an inspirational message a lot of the time. Or just a deep thought here and there. Christmas decorations at the store are nothing. Grandma starts decorating her house in like September. She may get to the point where she just never takes it down...but hey her love of Christmas is one of the things we love about her.

Katie said...

Love the inspirational thought! Its so true that giving of your time is sooo important. I have got to read that book. I am into reading lately. I have had a few bad TV experiences. I am sick of the crap they show. There's much better things I can do with my time to make me feel uplifted. I'm so glad that you're a fellow blogger! I feel like I'm getting to know my big sis! :)Katie

Blog Archive