Honey Bee

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Do You Speak Teen?


Yesterday, mixed in among the junk mail was a glossy card with a cell phone on it. At first glance I thought this is a tosser (do I sound British?). But as I was getting ready to throw it away I saw printed on the other side,“Do You Speak Teen? Ok, I’ll bite I thought to myself. So I opened up the card and what an education I received.

The card was an “infomercial” in my mailbox. And to think I almost threw it away! Apparently I don’t speak teen. And here I thought I was doing ok with my knowledge of the grunt/groan code that passes for conversation in my car, while traveling to and from school.

This little mailbox gem was filled with information about how to talk to my teens, (shhh, don’t tell anyone that I am old enough to have two teenage sons) about drugs. Now Dane and I have had many, many, many conversations with our boys about the dangers of drugs. They are both Magna Cum Laude graduates of the DARE program, Wesley even won a $100 savings bond for his DARE essay, which I wrote, I mean helped him write. I naively feel confident that drugs are one challenge we MAY not have to endure.

Gone are the days of commercials with hot frying pans and eggs. I don’t know about you, but that public announcement kept me clean and sober. So in my continuous quest to be a good mother, I read the brochure. I learned that Satan is alive and well and snippets of his propaganda are living in my mailbox. I also learned some new lingo that I may or may not try to use in my conversations with my sons and their friends, show them that I’m on to them. I’ve got my eyes peeled (ouch) and my ears tuned!

Tell me do you know what these things mean?

What do “space cakes” and “skittles” have in common?
a) They are popular snacks
b) They are sold in many convenience stores
c) They are harmless-sounding names for drugs
d) They are sold as high-energy drinks and contain high doses of caffeine

Who have the media dubbed as “prosti-tots”?
a) Teenage girls who date older guys to get drugs
b) Scantily dressed teenage girls who emulate young, wild celebrities
c) Teens who bring more than one date to a party
d) Drug dealers who are known to deal to children

What is a “poke”?
a) Making fun of someone over text messaging
b) A new term for a teen’s car
c) An online form of flirtation on a social networking Web site
d) A rude way to get someone’s attention in class

All brevity and sarcasm aside, the world is a scary place. Thank goodness for the Gospel, a loving, supportive husband, who is a wonderful role model to my sons, repentence and the Gift of the Atonement!

2 comments:

McGiven Family.... said...

We just got the book and I just read it to the boys and they love it! Thank you so much! You are so sweet to do that. Love ya!

Jeanna said...

That teenage lingo stuff scares the living daylights outta me. I need to get into the groove and learn it. I read something recently that said that kids who have dinner with their parents at least 5 times per week were less likely to get involved with alcohol. I hope this is true for drugs too.

Blog Archive