I manage a
I do not suffer rudenss gladly on the phone, especially at work.
Just trust me on that.
So, when I received a number of complaints about a particular student who knew her job very well, I had to observed what was going on when she was working.
It turned out that much of the problem was that she did not close her phone conversations, and it was perceived as rude.
"Perceived", heck with that, it was rude, but she had no idea why people took issue with it.
I think for some reason she thought it made her seem authoritative, or "oh so busy".
She would simply hang up the phone when her part of the conversation was over.
That flies. All. Over. Me.
I finally had to explain to her that in my department a phone call has an opening ("Hello") and a closing ("Goodbye") if she wanted to continue to work in my office.
Do people not learn basic phone etiquette any more?
Yet another way I feel like I"m becoming obsolete and feel that social media has done our society a disservice. Kids these days don't interact with people in a "REAL" way anymore. I feel like many parents are not ensuring that their kids are taught manners and how to get along in the world.
I'm turning into one of those "OLD" people who think that "Kids these days" stop to think, but then forget to start again.
Have a good week mom!
Holley
1 comment:
I totally agree with you on all of this, but I can totally tell you and Matt are related. He gets so bugged when he answers our phone and people either just say, "Hi." and then don't state their name or they just blurt out,
Can I talk to Sam (Julie)."
We don't have caller ID so it is a serious problem when we answer the phone and the person on the line just assumes we know who it is.
Also, we have taught Sam to use somewhat of a script for making calls and answering them. He does better than some adults.
Post a Comment