Hi Mom,
I don't know if you heard or not but yesterday there was another horrific tragedy that happened in our country. My heart is breaking for the families of little ones who will be planning funerals instead of Christmas celebrations.
As I was hearing about this terrible news the scripture found in John 14:27 kept going through my mind. "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you; not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
It is really a difficult thing not to be afraid in the times that we are living today, where gunman enter our schools and slaughter innocent children. It is hard not to be afraid when there are so many wars and rumors of wars raging all around us and our own government seems bent on destroying our country from the inside out.
There's a lot of talk about peace at Christmas. Even those who don't care much about Christmas as a celebration of Jesus' birth like to promote peace at this time of year. You could say that Christmas is the season of peace for the whole world.
Of course, with the events of Friday and all of the other stories we hear in the news there doesn't seem to be much peace going on in the world, whether it's across the seas or in our own towns. It may be Christmas time on the calendar, but bombings, murders, kidnappings, and all sorts of bad things are still happening everywhere you look. Even if you don't focus on the violence, you find arguments, strife, and disharmony in our workplaces, our neighborhoods and for some even in our homes. There is even a movement going on in the church right now where Mormon "feminists" are calling on the women in the church to wear pants on Sunday to Sacrament meeting as a protest of gender inequalities within the church. Like there aren't so many more important things going on in the world right now. Seems to me we are swatting at gnats and swallowing camels.
So what is all this "peace on earth" business the angels announced that first Christmas? Was it all hype? If there would never be peace in the world, why did the prophet Isaiah give God's Son the title "Prince of Peace" and predict that " Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end."
I think the answer lies in the phrase "not as the world giveth." The kind of peace that Christ is talking about is the kind of internal serenity that transcends the external peace everyone hopes for at Christmas. Though the storms of life rage around us, we can have calm assurance that our mighty and loving Father in Heaven has us firmly in His hand. But in order to feel that peace we have to put our faith and trust in the Father and His Son. This also explains the prophecy in Isaiah about a "government and its peace" that will never end. All those who put their trust in Christ become His. This peaceable Kingdom ever expands as more and more people "Come Unto Christ."
Meanwhile as followers of Christ, we are to do all we can to bring peace--both spiritual and physical--to the world. The scriptures tell us "Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not. Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits. Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men." (Romans 12: 14-18)
That's why what you are doing mom is so important. Sharing the gospel and the messages of peace and love from our Father in Heaven. We need good people to fight the fight and have confidence in themselves to do the work within their wards that they are called to do. I totally get why you were called to be an auxiliary trainer. You have always risen to whatever challenge was before you and magnified each calling the Lord bestowed on you.
Of all people in the world those who believe in Christ should be the most intentional about promoting peace. Just like the angels, we should proclaim and embody peace on earth.
Elder Holland once said, "Given our shared devotion to the Lord Jesus Christ and given the
challenges we face in our society, surely we can find a way to unite in a
national—or international—call to Christian conscience. Few things are more needed in this tense and confused world than
Christian conviction, Christian compassion, and Christian understanding."
It is my prayer that as Christians we would consider the opportunities we have to share the gospel messages of peace and hope both a privilege and a responsibility. My heart and prayers are with the families who have been affected by this horrible tragedy. I pray that they will find some peace and comfort in the days ahead.
I love you so much mom and I miss you! May the Lord bless and keep you! I know he will.
Till Tomorrow,
Holley
Saturday, December 15, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thank You Holley. You are such a beautiful writer. I truly felt your love, compassion, and strong testimony of the Savior. That there is Hope and Peace in Him. I needed to read this after the wake of yesterday's events. I was emotional, especially because a lot of those kids were the very age of Baylee and so many others in our family. I did Hug Baylee and Ashlee a little longer yesterday and tell them how much I loved them. I love you and am so grateful to have you as my Sister, and as one of my very best friends. Thank you for sharing your testimony and your talent.
Post a Comment