Honey Bee

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Angels Among Us


Hi Mom,

I hope you are having a restful and spiritually uplifting Sunday. I have been thinking a lot this weekend about the families involved with the tragedy in Connecticut. The events of this past Friday have given me a better understanding of what it means to mourn with those that mourn. My prayers continue to go out to the families and community.

I have also been thinking about Angels. There is a song from the country western group, Alabama, called "Angels Amoung Us." I'm not normally drawn to country music, but this song brings me to tears every time I hear it. I have to be really careful when I'm driving and it comes on the radio because I could seriously cause an accident, the song touches me so deeply.

The verse I love the most says, "When life held troubled times, and had me down on my knees.
There's always been someone there to come along and comfort me. A kind word from a stranger, to lend a helping hand. A phone call from a friend, just to say I understand.
"

As I sit here typing out those lyrics I'm reminded of the Christmas just before Kevin was born. All week you had been promising me and Julie that we could get our Christmas tree put up that weekend. It was Friday late afternoon and as was most often the case, Dad was working. Here you were six months pregnant with your fifth child and because you didn't want to break your promise, you loaded the four of us older kids into our station wagon. I can clearly see the tree lot that you took us to and Steve tugging on your arm because he didn't want to hold your hand. It didn't take long before we found the perfect tree and the attendants got it tied up and strapped to the top of the wagon. You loaded us back into the car so we could get home and I remember that I was pestering you because I was hungry and I wanted to go to McDonald's for dinner. You were telling me that wasn't such a good idea since we had a tree strapped to our car. You were getting ready to pull out of the tree lot when a harried woman stepped out right in front of the car and forced you to stop. I was startled because she opened up the front passenger door right where I was sitting. She explained that she was stranded and was desperate to get a ride. I don't exactly remember why she was stranded or where we needed to take her. What I do remember was you taking a quick look in the back seat and taking calming breath and smiling at the woman and telling her that you would be happy to give her a ride. I'm sure she stopped you because you looked safe. The thing that has always amazed me about that moment was that even though you were tired and we kids were cranky and complaining, you hardly even hesitated before you agreed to help out the woman. Knowing what I know now about being a tired mother and dealing with young cranky kids, I find your act of kindness toward that woman all the more inspiring. That memory has stayed with me and reminds me that there truly are "Angels Among Us," and sometimes those Angels are just regular people given the opportunity to help a stranger.

Angels play vital role in the story of that first Christmas. St. Augustine said, "Every visible thing in the world is put in the care of an Angel. Did you know that in the Bible alone there are more than 300 references to Angels? I found that out the other night while Dane and I were having scripture study together. I have always loved the account in Luke when the Angel appears to the shepherds and proclaims Christ's birth. The human reaction was wonder and amazement, but the response of the angelic hosts was sheer joy and celebration.

The songs of praise sung by those armies of angels must have penetrated the skies for miles around. The shepherds probably covered their ears for protection from the ear-splitting volume. Maybe we were there. That's an awesome thought to consider!

Angels are heavenly messengers sent from a loving Father in Heaven. They teach us, comfort us, protect us and proclaim Christ.

What is the message of the Angels to us more than 3,000 years after Christ was born? The message is that He lived, He lives and He WILL return someday. The Angels burst into song because they were celebrating the enormity of Christ's love to make such a tremendous sacrifice; and they were overjoyed that all of humanity could receive the eternal benefit of what was occurring in the little barnyard stable in Bethlehem.
What is our excitement level when we hear the Christmas story. Do we enjoy an enviable vantage point similar to that of the angels? Because of the scriptures and the gospel we don't have the kind of limited perspective and understanding as our scriptural forefathers. We get the big picture. We know the significance of what happened.

Because of that good news we too should be shouting from the rooftops and singing praises to the Lord. We should dedicate ourselves to being disciples of Jesus Christ. The way we live our lives should be a tribute to the Father and His Son. 

President Uchtdorf said in the April 2009 General Conference: "The more we are filled with the Spirit of God, the more we extend ourselves to others. We become peacemakers in our homes and families, we help our fellowmen everywhere, and we reach out in merciful acts of kindness, forgiveness, grace, and long-suffering patience. These are the first steps along the true way of life and fulfillment. This is the peaceable way of the follower of Jesus Christ."

"Ain't it kind of funny that at the dark end of the road. Someone lights the way with just a single ray of hope."

That light and ray of hope is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. And if we are trying to stay in tune with the Spirit and looking for opportunities to serve our fellowman, maybe the Lord will allow us to be an Angel in the life of someone in need.


I truly do believe that there are Angels among us. I'm grateful that Heavenly Father blessed me with a mother who was and is an Angel. I know you are not perfect mom, but you have always been perfect FOR ME. I love you!

Till Tomorrow,
Holley
 

No comments:

Blog Archive