Honey Bee

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Dreading Mother's Day

Disclaimer to this post: I have the world's most awesome MOTHER, MOTHER-IN-LAW, GRANDMOTHER, SISTERS and COUSINS

I hope that all of the wonderful women in my life have a fantastic Mother's Day.

My gripe is the whole "What do you want for Mother's Day" question. I try to pay attention to what everyone in my family likes to eat and wear and do. I try to shop for them based on what I know about them. I try to make the gifts I purchase or make have some kind of thought involved. Something more than walking into Bath & Body Works and grabbing the first available lotion.

For the past couple of years, Mother's Day has been a let down. I'm letting my husband off the hook, mostly...he does try. I used to enjoy the sweet little gifts the boys made at school and how they would try and be extra good for me on Sunday.

Now, I'm lucky if they even remember without being reminded. Nothing says I love you like "Dad told me to buy you something...here's a box of crappy candy"

I've tried to teach my kids to be thoughtful by both word and action and sometimes they can be surprisingly intuitive when it comes to other people. But with me...they forever take me for granted.

You would think that with one son in Culinary School and one son an artist that they could come up with something really cool that says I Love You Mom. Thank You! But neither one of them seems capable of seeing past the nose on their face.

Thing 1 has a girlfriend as I mentioned recently and she gets any neurons that are not dedicated to sleeping, eating and other bodily functions.

Thing 2 has prom on the brain. What brilliant school administrator thought it would be a good idea to have Prom the same weekend as Mother's Day? At any rate I find myself dreading the day. I have to tell my family what I want for dinner and shop for the ingredients and I have to make a sort of gift wish list of things I don't really want so they can show me how much I mean to them. I've always tried to tell my family it's not about money or material things.

How about you...do you dread Mother's Day?

2 comments:

Jeanna said...

I don't mind mother's day. I can't say it isn't stress free. What I like to do is focus more (especially during the talks in church) on my own mother/grandmother, etc.

But when it comes to after church, when usually the day is supposed to be about "me" I get a little downhearted. But this year, as last year, we are going to mi madre's and that means I can stop thinking about me. (I tend to be a bit selfish, can you tell?)

Anyway.....have very, very low expectations and you aren't disappointed. I know it sounds bad, but I have the same theory for seeing movies at the theater and this kind of thinking really works for me.

Love you girl! You deserve a fantabulous mother's day.

Kathy said...

I don't mind mother's day either. I'm OK with being asked what I'd like. I'm not a very intuitive gift giver myself so I like getting gift ideas from my husband and kids - saves a lot of take it back time. I know my husband struggles with gift giving himself - and being married to each other for 25 years hasn't helped at all. That's Ok. (Especially when I change my mind/mood by the hour.) From the kids, I'll take whatever I can get. For several years we haven't been sticklers about each of them having to gift give to each other or us. We strongly suggest they do but ultimately they are very much on their own.

As a former bishop - my husband is so relieved not to be handling mother's day for the ward anymore. It was a very very tough day to commemorate. And what does our ward do for father's day? Nothing for the most part because in our stake Father's Day always falls on Stake Conference. Do father's worry about that day like mother's worry about mother's day? I'm not being rhetorical, I'm serious - I've never really even thought about it. Isn't that awful? I do ask my husband what he'd like to do for father's day though.

Consider the act of asking as a gift in itself - a way of them saying "We'd really like this day to be a day you'd like - how would you like to celebrate this year?" Don't you ask your kids how they'd like to celebrate their birthdays? Maybe you can think about it that way.

If they ask and we don't take them up on the offer to tell them then we really can't complain. I don't think anyway. We can't go over board - that would be silly to set them up like that.

Do have a happy mother's day. post about mother's days gone by. that could be fun.

a memorable one for us was son number 2 getting a squished toe by a giant rock pitched by his older brother - wasn't malicious, just not the best choice for a ball - thus a run to the emergency room. Was a lovely way to celebrate the day.

Blog Archive