I’m not much of a resolution fan, mainly because resolutions just remind me how bad I am at finishing the stuff that I start. I mean, I can sit around and dream big dreams and share big ideas all the livelong day, but when it comes to, you know, actually doing those things consistently, it’s a crapshoot. I might or I might not. Depends on my mood. And how many books I have in my reading pile and movies in my Netflix queue.
The bottom line is that I’m just not very good at setting what I like to call FAYNCEE GOALS because FAYNCEE GOALS overwhelm me. FAYNCEE GOALS pretty much ensure that I’m going to give up within a short amount of time. FAYNCEE GOALS make me want to run in my house and lock the door and eat potato chips and onion dip and watch DVDs of “The Office” until ALL THE GOALS GO AWAY.
I know. It’s an inspiring approach to life, isn’t it?
So when 2010 (never thought I would be typing such a futuristic date) rolled around, I didn’t make resolutions for the reasons I just mentioned. I love fresh beginnings, but I hate – HATE – feeling overwhelmed. I thought about a couple of things I’d like to try to do differently, but there were no 180s, no radical changes. Just some general thoughts about possibilities that might be worth considering.
Because I’m very structured.
Over the last week, though, I’ve been pretty convicted in two particular areas: 1) breakfast and 2) faithfulness in the small things. I’m not saying by ANY stretch of the imagination that these are the only two things in my life that I need to work on, OH MY WORD NO, because truth be told if I made a list of every single area of my life that needs improvement I WOULD NEVER GET OUT OF THE BED AGAIN, but these two areas keep coming to mind as places where I can make some good changes without sliding into the dreaded state of being overwhelmed.
Which brings us to breakfast.
For the last couple of years I have been Queen of the PopTarts and Granola bars. At times I’ve felt like that grandmother in “Sixteen Candles” who opens up a box of Hostess donuts with a spatula and then says, “VOILA. BREAKFAST IS SERVED.” Because that’s about how much effort I’ve put into what my hulking gorillas eats in the mornings (me? I eat a scoop of peanut butter, so obviously there is room for improvement in this area). I know that they like grits and bananas and bacon and biscuits and pancakes and lots of other breakfast options, but between getting all of us up and out the door, I’ve slacked on the cooking. So I’m going to try and do better about that. If you have any suggestions for easy and healthy breakfasts I would appreciate a note in the comments section. I did start of today with a hot breakfast for me and Wes before we had to leave. Wes was so shocked and that added to my delight immeasurably.
Neveryoumind that my hair now smells like bacon and that people keep coming by my office and sniffing the air and giving me that “I hate you for having time to eat breakfast this morning” stare. THAT IS A SMALL PRICE TO PAY FOR HOT BACON.
As for being faithful in the small things, that mainly means that I want to try to help my husband by doing the little things that speak volumes to him: sticking to the grocery budget, getting my oil changed when he asks, throwing out stuff in the refrigerator before it grows legs and tries to make a break for it, taking time to think about wants vs. needs when I’m in a store, etc. I’m not an extravagant person by any stretch of the imagination, but I have a bad habit of justifying minor purchases because they’re minor purchases. $10 here. $15 there. $25 at the other place. And before I know it, I’ve spent $100 on, I don’t know, pens and shampoo and chicken breasts and a couple of shirts from Target. I also want to show him that spiritual study and edification are as important and meaningful to me as they are to him and to support him in his desire to find a time when our family can have regular family home evenings. We used to be so good at it, but now that they boys have jobs as well as school our schedules rarely match up and that has been weighing very heavily on my husband’s mind.
So I’m hoping that developing better habits with the little stuff will communicate to my husband that what matters to him matters to me, too. I know in my head that the little stuff adds up and makes a big difference, but the problem is that sometimes the selfish part of my heart cries out for a cute pair of sandals. Or a funky pair of pants for the low low price of $19.99. Or countertop spray that makes my kitchen smell like a forest of evergreens.
But Fantastik will be fantastic (see my play on words there…I know, I have a talent) in 2010, oh yes ma’am it will.
So what about y’all? What are you working on in 2010?
Holla back in the comments. I’ll just be sitting here eating leftover bacon.
See? Breakfast is a MIGHTY GOOD THING indeed. Oh and I may or may not be embarking on a new workout challenge and doing the Jillian Michael’s “Shred It” workout.
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
My origional "Resolutions" post listed my/our goals, but Matt told me I couldn't publish them. Which made me mad because they were not personal or anything... Anyway, I didn't do it because like you and your husby, I have to show him that what he thinks matters should matter to me too.
So, I'm glad you shared yours because I like to know (I'm very nosy) what types of things others are working on and stuff. And just so you know, I was prepared to share mine too.
I plan to walk at least 30 minutes more 5 days a week. If I don't get my regular walk in at all - then at least 30 minutes - if I do get my regular walk in - then at least 30 minutes more. Doesn't have to be 30 minutes all in one shot - can be 10 mins 3x etc. I have a treadmill, that helps a lot. But having one doesn't equate to using one. I'm going to do better.
Wish I had some breakfast ideas. My family loves cereal - cold cereal - so that is our basic. But they'd love it if I made them something warm and yummy. They resort to eggo type things for warm in the morning. And my teen daughter, she likes flavored, instant oatmeal. I do too. If we could just train ourselves to put fresh fruit in, that would be a big boost to our diet.
I got nothing. Made no resolutions. Because, as you said, I start to feel overwhelmed, then I get angry, and who wants an angry mother/wife?
So, I'm sticking to a new/old plan....take one day at a time.
I think really trying to do the little things for my husband (the ones that you mention "speak volumes") is an EXCELLENT idea.
I'm pretty desperate to keep that guy around forever....and so, I need to jump on those things that he has mentioned a few bazillion times and start doing them more faithfully.
As for breakfast ideas: I love a smoothie in the a.m. My band won't allow anything thicker, so...I've gotten creative. Renee made a FANTASTIC smoothie with bananas, OJ, and spinach....yes, fresh spinach. She called it a shamrock shake (for the kids' sake) and they gobbled that thing down and it was SOOOO good for them. Bwah-ha-ha!
But I enjoy a pumpkin smoothie (makes me feel all warm inside knowing I ate an orange veggie for breakfast) and I really like my chocolate (slimfast) banana shakes. mmm, mmm, good.
As for hot breakfast....German pancakes aren't too hard and you could mix it up and get it baking while you get ready and VOILA! Microwave some bacon when you're done and the coworkers will be hanging on your every word!
I have a big list this year, maybe I'll get around to sharing it sometime.
Post a Comment