Honey Bee

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Diet Coke Savings Account

My life during the work week has been essentially the same for about 12 years: tumble out of bed, stumble to the kitchen, pour myself a cup of ambition and yawn and stretch and try to come to life. Or at least that would have been the case if my name happened to be Doralee and I was struggling with how to handle my manipulative, chauvinistic boss.

Nonetheless, this morning as I was going through the motions of being a responsible adult it definitely felt a little on the repetitive side and I started craving my diet coke.

Well I don’t know if you Y’all (remember that’s North Carolinian for You all) know this but I’ve given up my three-can a day habit. It was not easy my interwebby friends and just like any addict I struggle mightily. But I just take it one step at a time, one day at a time and I recite my little Serenity Prayer that is hanging up in my entryway “God Grant the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. The courage to change the things I can…and the wisdom to know the difference.”

Of course I recite that more to help me decide day to day whether or not I should HARM Thing 1 and Thing 2.

Because the worry over Thing 1 and Thing 2 has me tossing and turning and tossing and turning…did I mention that I have been tossing and turning?

So when I wake up at O’Dark-Thirty to go about my day as a responsible adult, I feel the need for artificial stimulants. But I am strong my interwebby friends. I will harness the Diet Coke Beast within and I will prevail.

In a previous post I was giving a shout out to one of my bestest interwebby friends, Sandy…she’s my cousin Jeanna’s brother’s wife’s mother. I’m really getting good at the SOUTHERN way to describe your relationship to somebody.

Anyhoo, she has been my rock and my salvation. She has encouraged me to give up the evil diet coke.

Then she posed a question in her response to my post. “In my office here at BYU we do alot of research on what Russians spend their cig money on when they quit smoking or would spend on if they quit smoking. What do you spend your money on now that you don't drink caffeine?”

Well friends that is positively interesting and puzzling and it has me puzzling until my puzzler is sore…which in my case is not hard to do as I live the life of the eternally confused.

However, I don't know what I spend the money on or what I would spend the money on so I have decided to conduct my own little experiment even though I’m not Russian (well I could be Russian, but I’ve not done enough genealogy to know for sure.) I have decided that every time I crave a diet coke I’m going to put my $1.28 cents (that is the price of my favorite kind of diet coke, The Cherry Vanilla Diet Coke from Sonic during their drink Happy Hour.) And I’m going to save it up until December 14 and see how much money I have. The amount of money I have saved on December 14 will determine what I spend it on.

So tune in on December 14 for the Diet Coke Savings account REVEAL!

Is this a riveting, cliffhanger of a Blog or what? Don’t answer that. Just go have a really nice day!

4 comments:

Julie J. said...

*Singing* Workin' nine to five, what a way to make a livin' - Thanks, now I'll have that stuck in my head all day long! But Your cousin Jeanna's brother gave up soda too at the behest of your interwebby friend Sandy's daughter - Julie. So I'm going to tell him about your little experiement and see what he thinks. Maybe he'll try it. I'm sure there is something he'd like to buy himself with his beer mon- I mean Mountain Dew money.

Jeanna said...

Ooooo, I can't wait to see/hear how much is saved!

Kelly Boyle said...

This should be interesting. I hope that you save a lot of money and spend it on you for something you really want. Good luck!

Jules said...

YOu know you could just times the amount of money by the number of days and you will already know what you will save, just sayin.

I read a book on ways to save money and she had a statistic about how much someone who goes to Starbucks everyday could save. It was a lot. Good luck and bye something good like a plane ticket home.

Blog Archive