I am an ordinary woman. I live an ordinary life. I have an ordinary job and an ordinary family. I read books about people who are extraordinary and I wonder if they knew they were extraordinary or if they too thought they were ordinary.
How does one go about being extraordinary? Is it because of who you are, an accident of birth if you will like Kings and Queens? Or, do you become extraordinary by doing something?
Sometimes I really think I want to know the answer to that question. Sometimes I just send it out into the cosmos knowing I'll never really know the answer.
I'm working on a book. Do you have a favorite Children's book, either one you've read to yourself or discovered after becoming a parent?
Why did that particular book strike a chord with you, or was it because it appealed to your children?
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
First of all you are not ordinary, you have raised exceptional children and become a kind and wonderful person. Besides you were born into royalty, just remember that.
I have several children's books that I love and I could go on all day, but one of my absolute favorites is called "The Trouble with Elephants". It's all about the things they do to get into trouble and at the end it says the trouble is you just can't help but love them.
I got that book when I was dating Robert and it seemed to apply to my life then. Now it applies to my life in another way. It's kind of like Dad, he can be the most exasperating person, but you really can't help but love him.
My dad wrote an autobiography - in his introduction he addressed the idea that we common people really do live extraordinary lives, we just don't recognize the great and wonderful things we experience because we take them for granted. We don't recognize their "significance in the day to day living of what we have taken to be a normal simple life."
Time to look back and take inventory.
Books - Kevin Henkes mouse books - cute little stories about little people problems - and the "in the margin" stuff (what is written else where besides the written story line) is so funny - Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, Owen, and Chrysanthemum are three favorites.
E.B. White The Trumpet of the Swan - besides being a great book - the memory of reading it out loud to my kids one summer is a very, very happy memory.
Both my suggestions have animals - I'm not an animal lover. Well, Henkes has animals being "human"
hmmmm
Post a Comment