Honey Bee

Friday, August 28, 2009

Her Royal Highness

If I were Queen of the World, there would be a few things I would want every woman to learn. I would ask this of her for no other reason except that to do so would make her life simpler. Even though I was Queen of the World, I would politely ask this of women, because you really cannot order someone to do something you see as a benefit to them without an army to back you up and without becoming an arrogant despot. I would be a wise queen if I ran the world.

I would ask women to learn to cook a few easy meals. Cooking is a skill that blesses the chef, her family and friends in ways that are too numerous to mention now. If I were Queen of the World, I would order you to take my word on this subject.

How to give and receive a compliment would also be on my list. Compliments, the sincere kind, the kind that encourage, flow from a generous, confident heart. There is an art to receiving a compliment. A smile and a thank you is an appropriate response, but I have seen very accomplished women disparage themselves when complimented. “Really, but don’t you think I look fat in this?” and, "Oh, it was nothing.” Compliments are little verbal gifts that when sincerely given and graciously received bless both the giver and the receiver.

If I were Queen of the World there would be weekly e-mails sent out concerning the dangers of comparing yourself to other women. Either we compare ourselves to those we think are better (either thinner, or richer, why never more generous or wiser?) or, we compare ourselves to those we can look down on (usually fatter or poorer, why never someone who is bravely facing a difficult circumstance). Too much wasted emotional energy. There is no point in outlawing comparison but as Queen, I would actively discourage it.

Finally, as Queen of the World I would ask women to consider taking my Queen sponsored course on “How to Say No”. The course would include practice in saying no to parents and/or in-laws that make unreasonable demands on young married couples, saying no to bosses, volunteer recruiters (church, PTA, civic group, etc.) and friend who like to sell you things at “parties”. All of us would benefit by learning to say 'No' to that which drains time, energy and/or finances from already overcommitted people who have not yet learned the art of saying 'No'. The point of the course would be to train women to say no to good things, so they have time, energy and money for the best things. As Queen of the World, I would graciously leave it up to my subjects to decide what the best things are.

I have a list for men also, but my gracious suggestions would probably lead to armed rebellion, and, eventually, to war and strife in my kingdom. If I were Queen of the World, I would make my life simpler and deal with other women.

If I were Queen of the World I would make daily Nap time and Laugh time mandatory.

If you were Queen of the World, what would you ask of your subjects?

2 comments:

Julie J. said...

I would also discourage comparing, encourage contentment and being happy with what you have, AND being satisfied with your best, otherwise there is a lot of time and energy wasted on something that can't be chaged.

Jeanna said...

As your loyal subject for the day I will:

1. Not compare myself to anyone else today.
2. Graciously give and receive compliments.

If I were Queen of the World I would:

1. Order my husband to feel good about himself, as in RIGHT.THIS.MINUTE!

I'm pretty sure he couldn't muster up an army to fight me.

2. Command all family I like to move closer. As in RIGHT.THIS.MINUTE!

Apparently I'm not as nice a queen as you are.

Blog Archive