Yesterday at Walmart - the conversation I overheard while waiting in line to buy my stuff:
Very Young Male Cashier: So. Uh. Your accent. Are you from Europe? Or…the other one?
Australian Customer: I’m Australian.
Cashier: Yeah. I knew it was one of those two.
Customer: Mmmm.
Cashier: Some people try to say you can’t tell the difference but I always say you can!
Customer: Yes. You’re right. You can.
SERIOUSLY. This happened. I SWEAR.
In the cashier’s defense, he was very young. Possibly 16 even. And when I was 16 I might have used the words “England” and “Europe” interchangeably. I’d like to think I didn’t, but I don’t know. Maybe I did. Geography wasn’t a strong point of mine.
But how hard do you think it had to be for that woman not to set him straight? Or at least be really sarcastic. I mean…I would have probably answered, “The other one.” Just to mess with him. Or I would have said something like, “The other what? The other continent? There are six others…which one are you referring to?” But she was waaay nicer than I would have been and just interpreted the small talk he was trying to start up and responded in the simplest way possible so he would not feel like an idiot.
Pretty nice for a lady from That Place Other Than Europe.
Where is everybody? I miss you. You have no idea how lonely it can be out here in Outer Mongolia! Anybody? Can you hear me now?
1 comment:
I know what you mean about feeling lonely. Noone seems to blog much anymore. I have a computer on loan, until we can get a new one. It feels good to be back online.
Post a Comment