Honey Bee

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I am the Tree Ghost Whisperer!


Elon is moving houses and cutting down huge decades old oak trees in its never ending quest to homogenize the campus. I was assigned to document the moving of an old house that has been designated the “Elon Alumni Center” they lifted it off its foundation and moved it to the other side of campus. There was this big tree in front that was murdered in order for the building to be moved (Betcha didn’t know that I was a tree hugger). I felt really bad for the tree and decided to go have a personal memorial for it this morning (3 months after it was unceremoniously chopped down) and I saw this monstrosity growing on the tree stump. Mr. Google says it’s a fungus. I’m not so sure!

Clearly the tree is growing its own brain because it wants to communicate with me. Because it knows that I am the only one who cares that it was murdered. Maybe I’ve become the Tree Ghost Whisperer! COOL!

I don't believe the brain is fully functional yet because I asked the tree what it needed to tell me and it said nothing. I think it might still be learning our language from the radios of cars as they drive by. (And maybe a little Spanish from the gardening staff.)

You can click on the picture for a much better view of it. I put a quarter next to it for size reference.

On the off chance that Mr. Google is right and it is a mushroom then maybe we could have some really good steak with sautéed mushrooms.
But if I'm right, then soon the tree will gain the gift of speech and we will converse. It will share with me, the years and years of wisdom it has gained as a silent, stoic observer. I believe the tree will also pass along its message that we must care for our precious planet and its resources, as I gain a newfound understanding of the universe, and our place in it.

4 comments:

Julie J. said...

Tell the tree to go to the light.

Katie said...

K that really grossed me out for some reason. It actually looked like small intestines. I am completely amazed at the stuff that can grow out here along the coast...what the?!

Sandy said...

That is the son of the Blob. Run for your life.

Jeanna said...

Ewwww

Blog Archive