Honey Bee

Monday, April 20, 2009

I Stand All Amazed!

Last night we had a thunderstorm. It was loud and dramatic and spectacular - as thunderstorms tend to be - and the rain poured fast and furious for what seemed like hours. The reason I know this is that I have a barometer in my head. Every time the weather changes, I get a headache especially this time of year.

Since my area is currently being pummeled by pollen, I was excited that the rain would probably bring some relief from the allergy onslaught I’ve been experiencing for the last couple of weeks.

But I’m here to tell you: that’s not all it did.

Because this morning I was up early (headache) and I was looking outside at some of the trees and I couldn’t believe my eyes. Sunday afternoon this tree was covered in buds. And after the rain, it burst into full bloom.




Even in the darkness.

And I’m reminded that some of the most beautiful transformations take place during some of the darkest times.

Be encouraged, y’all (remember that’s North Carolinian for you all).

This brings me to my next topic…I’m sure that most of you have heard of Susan Boyle and her amazing audition for a British television show kind of like American Idol. If you’ve not seen it go here. Thanks Katie telling me about this.

I was so moved by this woman and her story. To look at her, Susan Boyle seems like a frumpy middle-aged British schoolmarm. However during her audition, her personality, tenacity, wit and charm shine through.

I think what stood out the most for me was the contrast between what the judges and the audience thought of Miss Boyle, and believe me it was painfully obvious, and what she thought of herself. She had a confidence and bravery that turned me into an instant fan.

This video sends shivers down my spine. Not only because of Miss Boyle’s amazingly beautiful voice that pierces my heart but because I think of how often I make snap judgments about people by what I see on the outside and how often I am wrong and how often I must be missing out on something wonderful because I have already dismissed them with scornful amusement.

Susan had good reason to stand before the judges with confidence. She knew what was inside of her. She knew. I wish I had her confidence and bravery. Life might be oh so different if I did.

Here’s to a week filled with wonder and amazement and not turning a blind eye because of what things/people look like on the outside.

1st Samuel 16: 7 “But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

3 comments:

Jeanna said...

I appreciate your insights on the blooms. How true that the most wonderful transformations happen in the dark...

Susan's story was amazing, too!!!

Katie said...

I'm so glad that you liked the Susan Boyle story. I always enjoy hearing your take on things. Just so you know, I think you're an amazing gal thru and thru. :) Love ya.

Kelly Boyle said...

I loved seeing Susan Boyle blow people out of the water. I myself even got a little choked up when I saw her audition. She seems so humble and just wanted to fulfill her dream. Holley I wish you could see yourself in my eyes and especially your Saviors eyes. Because you are an amazing person with so many talents. You just need to believe in yourself. I love you tons!

Blog Archive