Honey Bee

Friday, November 21, 2008

I LOVE BEING AN AUNT!

It’s been kind of a long week. You know the sort of week where you have a million things going on and various sorts of angst over things you need to be handling and then you have half a dozen people in your life dealing with various things that make you say to yourself, “Self, it is about time to get over your own stupid self because just LOOK at what these OTHER people are dealing with and not whining… well, okay, they ARE whining, and in fact whining TO ME, but they are ENTITLED, because they’re dealing with serious things and really your little bits of anxiety over work or the imaginary deadly disease you are busy diagnosing yourself with are really just small potatoes compared to these other things so kindly just SHUT UP and move on and have a fun-size Butterfinger or SOMETHING and just GET A GRIP,” that sort of week?

No?

Oh. Nevermind, then. It’s uh, been a long week. Full of… stuff. Normal stuff. Yeah.

Hey! How about that team? You know, the one that plays… uh… that sport!

Why are you looking at me like that??

Seriously though it’s been crazy and I’m so grateful that its FRIDAY!

Last night I experienced the best, most wonderful impromptu talent show.

It all happened when I was listening to the radio on my way home from work. I was working late and driving home. I live about 35 minutes from work and so me and my radio are the best of friends. My radio station is playing 24/7 Christmas music which makes my heart sing like nobody’s business. Go ahead roll your eyes, but there is not another time of year when you can count on the radio playing nothing but cheerful music that often times declares the divine nature of our Heavenly Father and His Son.

Well it was time for the Delilah show, she’s syndicated so you might have heard her. I’m not a huge fan of her show, but sometimes she has some interesting people on. Well she was talking to a woman whose name was Holly. This woman has a sister named Julie and they both had Christmas birthdays and she was talking about their favorite Birthday/Christmas traditions.

Well I just new that fate was telling me to call my own sister, Julie, whom I hadn’t talked to in a couple of weeks. So I did. And you know what?

The drive home sped by, the stress of the week melted away and by the time I pulled into my driveway I was a much happier and mentally healthier person. I know it was completely illegal to drive and talk on your cell phone. But I was careful I promise. Besides you can't argue with FATE!

Not only was it wonderful to catch up with my sister and feel of her love and support for me and my family, but I got to hear Garrett and Sydney sing and I got hear from McKell all about how she’s doing in school and how she’s really excited for the holidays.

It was a wonderfully rejuvenating experience and gave me strength.

In the coming week I will walk like someone who has her stuff together, I will act like someone who has her stuff together – and maybe, just maybe, I might just BE someone who has her stuff together.

If not I’ll just get on the phone and have Garrett sing me “Eye of the Tiger” or Sydney sing in her angelic voice “Skinamarink” or have a nice chat with a beautiful 7-year old girl with enough wit and charm and warmth to melt an iceburg! If that doesn’t work, I’ll call BAYLEE and listen to her breath into the phone.

I LOVE BEING AN AUNT!

1 comment:

Jules said...

Thanks for posting that, it made me cry. I'm glad my kids can bring some joy into your life. I loved your description of McKell, I've strugled with her lately and I needed a reminder that she is truly a reamarkable little girl. Thank you for listening to them and making them feel special. I am going to try hard to get to Pebble with everyone so you can see us all and they can be near you. Love you, have a great weekend.

Blog Archive