Honey Bee

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Oh My Word! I can't quit eating!

And this time, surprisingly, the culinary object of my obsession is not cheesecake.

It’s granola.

I KNOW!

IT’S NOT EVEN UNHEALTHY, Y’ALL!

Now I’ve made granola before, but I tend not to try new granola recipes very often since I’m the only person in this house who enjoys delicious granola goodness.

Because clearly the other three people who live here are, well, crazy. They have no idea what they’re missing.

My friend Donna Jo knows of my love for the granola, and today she brought some crunchy manna from Heaven that I couldn’t wait to try. I’m trying to amass some good recipes for quick & easy breakfasts. So she gave me a baggy of the, so tasty it should be illegal, granola. I combined it with my plain vanilla yogurt, because everybody knows that one tablespoon of vanilla yogurt mixed with one-quarter cup of granola is the MOST PERFECT FOOD TEXTURE IN THE UNIVERSE, and now you must excuse me for a moment, because quite frankly I need to swoon.

Anyway this recipe is so good! It’s simple, filling and oh-so-yummy. I just couldn’t keep it to myself. And when Donna Jo told me that she’d gotten it from the Southern Living magazine, well that just clinched it Y’all, because Southern women, they know how to cook!

Quick Oatmeal Granola

Preheat oven to 350, then combine the following four ingredients in a small bowl:

1/4 cup honey
2 Tbsp. melted butter
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
½ tsp. Almond extract

Next, in a big bowl, combine:

1 1/2 c. uncooked regular oats
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/3 c. sliced almonds (I will be adding more b/c I adore the almonds)
1/3 c. toasted pumpkin seeds
1/4 tsp. salt

Combine wet and dry ingredients. Spread onto a greased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring often.

And this may make you feel just a little bit sorry for me, but I cannot wait to make this - just so I can eat more granola.

I think I’m not even going to wait until the weekend. I lead such an exciting existence. Now don’t be jealous, you can always live my exciting and adventurous life vicariously through the reading of the blog.

1 comment:

Jules said...

I really like granola too. There is a kind I get from Costco that has pumpkin seeds and it is so good. I too like to eat it with yogurt, who knew. I'm glad you found a recipe you will like, I don't think I have the motivation to make my own granola.

Blog Archive