Honey Bee

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Solid Gold 80s and another walk down memory lane

Today was a day that could change my life forever. Some people are discovered at the soda fountain, some on American Idol. But, for me, it was Food Lion.

I love to sing, and it seems that the grocery stores and the drug stores play the best music. They should sell collections late at night on QVC. Really. And it seems that I am destined to relive my horrible teen years and pay homage to the music of the 1980s. Yes you read correctly, I was a teen in the 80s. I know you can’t believe because I’m so youthful, energetic and hip. But pick your jaw up off the floor and read on about what could potentially be my next career.

One trick that I employ as a working mother is to grocery shop in spurts over my lunch hour. This allows me to hit more than one stores specials in a week without using so much gas. So I was in the baking goods aisle (I may or may not have put a box of brownie mix in my cart), I was jamming to Ain't No Mountain High Enough. I tried to keep my voice down to a modest hum, but my head bopped a lot. I think I may have looked like a hen pecking feed.

I always seem to hear some Sail Away or If You Get Lost Between The Moon and New York City at some point during my shopping trips. Today was a special treat. The music took me back, waaayyyy back. Back to the days of stirrup pants and Bill Cosby sweaters. It was a Solid Gold moment.

Hard To Say I'm Sorry.

Ya'll (remember that’s North Carolinian for you all), I tried. I really did. But, you just can't hum to that song. You have to get it out, because all of us had a boyfriend (real or imagined) in high school that we picture every time we hear those lyrics. We are either still trying to tell him we are sorry, or wishing he had told us he was sorry.

That smooth voice of Peter and The Band just made me wanna sing. And, I did. Oh, yes I did. It was karaoke time in the deodorant aisle at Food Lion.

I was crooning with Chicago, my friends...

Hold me now.
It's hard for me to say I'm sorry!
I just waaaaannnt you to stay...
After all that we've been through
I will make it up to you
I PROMISE TO!
And after all that's been said and duh-yun!
You're just a part of me I can never let goooo...
Oh-woaa-woaaa.....ooooo

If I had been wearing a collar, I would have put it up. Oh, yes. I was cool. Rockin' in Food Lion. No one was watching, except for the security people who, as we speak, are probably calling the local radio stations to play my performance for tomorrow morning’s talk show. Or better yet, I could be the next You Tube celebrity. Don’t worry, I'll remember Y’all when I’m rich and famous.

4 comments:

Jeanna said...

Being a teen in the 80s makes a person superior, this I know. And who can't resist a little Peter? All his songs made me want to slap a boy across the face, just to get him to notice how deeply I felt about him and why didn't he notice???

Katie said...

Good news! Gary and I have been invited to a theme party next weekend....and the theme is: 80s Prom. Finally Gary and I get to go to the prom together. Don't worry. We will be taking IBC rootbeer in those sweet bottles. I can't wait to do my hair and makeup and take lots of pictures. Wish you could be there.

Masters Of Disasters said...

Why can I totally picture you doing that? Truth be told, I would have done the same thing. You should have seen me in "Mama Mia" I love the 80's too.! Rock on my friend!

Cote Corner said...

Sometimes I find myself singing out loud in the grocery store too. And then I remember that I'm in public! I can't wait for my kids to be teenagers.. then they will HATE me for singing out loud in the store. It will be SWEET revenge for all they put me through at the grocery store as toddlers.

Blog Archive