Honey Bee

Friday, September 19, 2008

I need a makeover!

Lately I have been having a problem with contentment. Not thankfulness, just contentment. But I am learning that discontentment and ungratefulness are very interrelated. Maybe even one in the same.

I am not even content with the template of this blog. Most of you have such pretty blogs and I just don’t have the time or energy to play with mine and make it pretty, so I blog covet.

This morning while I was getting ready for work I started thinking about this whole contentment thing. When will I ever learn. Satan is just after us all the time in this area. We get so wrapped up in "improving" ourselves, our homes, our "things", that we forget that we are to be content with what we have been given already. Even joyful! That is definitely and area where I need to improve.

Now, I do believe that Heavenly Father wants us to grow and to prosper. But I think I have clung to that popular verse as an excuse to want, even "need" things. God does want us to have "the desires of our heart" (Psalms 37:4), but in His Plan and in His Time. He wants us to recognize that our desires should be for spiritual fulfillment and growth.

I am sharing this with you from my heart. I truly believe that we can often be deceived by the world and we don't even know it.

For example, let's just think about what is on TV. (I am not blaming television for all the wrongs of this world. I can easily turn it off, cancel cable, or just get rid of the TV completely!) But, I don't. I watch it. I heard someone joke once that she had stopped watching all of the filth on TV and just stuck with HGTV. Then she realized that all of the home improvement shows just tempted her to covet! She was kidding. But, think about it. Whether it is a show that improves a room, an entire house, or a person's hair and wardrobe, we are allowing these images to influence our thoughts.

What I am really saying to Heavenly Father is this- "What you have given me isn't good enough."

This takes me back to contentment. I am not just encouraged, but commanded to be content. (Hebrews 13:5) And "contentment with godliness is great gain" (1 Tim. 5: 6-7) But, it is the writings of Paul to the church at Philippi that truly encourages me. Even Paul had to learn to be contented. So, I know there is hope for me!

Paul writes- "...For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." Phil. 4:11

Yeah!! That means, no-matter-what-state-I-am-in, depressed, anxious, fat, skinny, poor, North Carolina or just plain crazy (which is most of the time lately), that I can learn to be content. But, here is the clincher, I can't depend on myself. I have to depend on the awesome presence of Jesus Christ in my life. Thank goodness that He wants to take the time to work on this poor lump of clay called me!

So, this is my post for today. A little more on the serious side because life right now is hard. But it was on my heart. And I just wanted to share. I hope that today is a day of contentment for you!

3 comments:

Katie said...

I'm so happy that you're out from under your bed and posting again! I had to check on you before I went to bed. I have to tell you that I got a bit of a chuckle about the blog coveting...I do that too. Hmmmm...let's see who's life looks like the cutest/funnest/easiest...I know that you weren't going that deep with it but admittedly I do sometimes.

Anyway, I totally know what you mean about being content. Its so easy to want more (enjoyment) and expect less (challenges)...I find myself doing this quite often. Honestly now that American Idol isn't on, I don't have "a show". I know that will change when my kids get older. I really can't stand TV anymore. (OK I feel a post coming on) I love you, Holley and I'm glad your so inspirational with your writing abilities. Thanks. :)

Masters Of Disasters said...

Nice thoughts. Your right. Thats is definitely how the adversary works. I do need to work on being content with what I have too. Thanks!

Jeanna said...

Me too. Discontentment is such a trap, because it stems from comparing what we have or don't have with what others have. Someone once said to me that we should never compare ourselves to others because we inevitably compare our worst with their best and we will never come out on top in that scenario. True.

This kind of attitude is an affront to the Lord, but I know that when we decide to stop doing this, and repent of it, that He will lovingly tell us that he understands that we are forgiven.

Life really is good. And I have a pretty sweet cousin if you ask me.

Blog Archive