Honey Bee

Friday, December 14, 2007

My Fantasy Life

I get crushes. I always have.

Maybe it started with little Steve Miller in fourth grade math class. He was cute. I liked his feathered hair. I used to gaze at him and sigh, imagining that he asked me to slow-skate with him at the roller rink.

That’s high romance to a ten-year-old.

There is no better place to indulge a crush than the distant and safe world of the screen. Looking back at the screen crushes of my life, they fall into two categories. There is The Decent Man, upstanding citizen and all around nice-guy, who nevertheless hides an unexpectedly passionate side.

Colin Firth played one of those in Bridget Jones’s Diary, but he lacked the crush factor for me in that movie. I spent the whole movie wondering what he saw in Bridget. His character can hardly have hidden depths if he falls for someone so shallow. Now the Colin Firth of Pride & Prejudice, whoa baby hold me back!!!!!!

The epitome of decency in film can only be one man.



Jimmy Stewart

James Stewart, of course. Whether he is the hopeful pen pal in Shop Around the Corner or the besotted journalist in Philadelphia Story, he passed the true test of a romantic hero: women watching did not think I want him; instead, they thought I want to be loved like that.

You know that scene in It’s a Wonderful Life where he sits on the couch with Mary and they try to listen to the phone at the same time, but they are so close that they can’t concentrate and he is trying so hard not to fall for her but eventually he can’t help it and he kisses her? I don’t care what explicit embarrassment Hollywood comes up with nowadays. THAT is the hottest scene in all of moviedom.

That my dear friends is why I love watching It’s A Wonderful Life over and over and over and over again. I’ll never get tired of my Jimmy!

Wednesday Night I was watching Mr. Krueger’s Christmas on the BYU channel and I was completely mesmerized. Even at 85 the man had charisma!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Colin Firth, how I adore thee. So lovely, so, so lovely.

I was just thinking yesterday how I want to see Shop Around the Corner. I have You've Got Mail and of course it is sweet but I really want to see the original.

Plus, my son used the word "cybersex" after seeing You've Got Mail (obviously we didn't edit that film once and the crass got through). I am positive Mr. James Stewart would never say something so indecent.

I better watch it's a wonderful life. Julie promised a video drop off for me of christmas hits that I've missed out on, but I haven't received the delivery yet! :)

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, even I think Colin Firth is the man. So sensible, yet so passionate--and just plain cool-looking. I know he could pull Bond off (unlike Daniel Craig). He'd come closer than anyone to Sean Connery.

I've always loved Jimmy Stewart too, but more for his trademark voice. You can hear it a mile away and know who it is as your heart leaps with nostalgic joy.

So Holley, what category of crush would Kiefer Sutherland fall under? huh? (keeping in mind that he'll never quite measure up to his dad, Donald)

Blog Archive