Honey Bee

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

My Internal Christmas Meter

On, Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen......Eisenhower and Kennedy and Johnson and Nixon...Hey at least it rhymes!

Christmas Holiday Christmas music, everyone's got an opinion: there's too much, there's too little, it's annoying, it's uplifting, it starts too early, it starts too late, and, so on. I may be weird (oh, stop that, and you know who you are), but for me, Christmas music habits are kind of hard wired inside me. I frequently will bring out my Christmas CDs in July because I just like the songs and the tunes and its usually better than anything else on the radio. I can hear Christmas music in October, it doesn't offend me, but it doesn't move or inspire "spirit" in me, either. I just look and listen and my mind says, "Oh, it's not that time, yet." Even right after Thanksgiving, my "Internal Christmas Meter" doesn't go off and everyone else's seems to. I’ve never been a “Black Friday” shopper and although I start decorating, that’s more about time management than actual Christmas spirit. I've thought that perhaps I'm not trying hard enough, so I've been tuning into the 2 politically correct "holiday" stations in my area 24/7 holiday music until the day after Christmas (that is kind of a let down its like Christmas never existed as soon as the clock strikes 12 midnight). I mean, I like the tunes, most are happy and all, but I'm just not feeling it, yet. I don't mean in a "bah-humbug" way, either, it's just not time.

Since I've somehow morphed into a reasonably responsible adult (you again, I said, 'be quiet'), I do the things I need to do to prepare for the season, but I have figured out that my "Internal Christmas Meter" is set for December 15th. Totally arbitrary, but December 15th seems to be the date that it feels like Christmastime to me. I will sing along with all the songs and enjoy the decorations, but before then it all feels, I don't know, "forced". I think that’s mostly because I can’t slow down my life. I still have to get Brien to his testing center at 6:30 am on Dec. 1. I have to attend every Holiday parade between here and Tennessee. Teachers feel pressured to double up on homework and projects right before Christmas break and so I’m up until all hours assisting the boys with that. Then there is my visiting teaching and RS Holiday party and Ward party and no less than 3 parties for work (1 for my office, 1 for my department and 1 for the campus). I have to bake cookies and help out at holiday bake sale fundraisers. Then there is the stuff I actually want to do, like getting my service project finished and doing my Christmas shopping. Usually by Dec. 15 that stuff is all out of the way, I can breathe a sigh of relief and start enjoying the season. However, please don't let that stop you from showering gifts on me before then, I can override that meter if needed.

So the starting gun has gone off and I’m feeling the pressure. Every year I tell myself it will be different and I will be more organized and waltz through the season like June Cleaver with perfect hair, ironed clothes and a 4 course meal on the table every night. Darn those TV Land reruns!

4 comments:

Jeanna said...

I have become a bah-humbug kinda girl. I am so sick of the crowds I could scream, and I am talking about last years crowds. I am starting to hate the season all together and I am worried about it. I want to talk my husband and children into no presents, family time only. I know this won't fly but I really wish we could do it. Spend a few bucks going to movies, out to dinner, ordering pizza, but for the most part not spending my children's inheritance (which basically means adding to the credit card debt they inherit). And, I can't stand the music that starts before halloween is even over.

Call me scrooge!

Jules said...

I live in a world where to small children the sooner the better. I have to say we went over to mom's on Saturday to set up her tree as a surprise for when she got home and that put me in the spirit. I guess that's what it's all about, as soon as you have a little time to breathe and serve others that's when the season begins for you. My kids are so excited for all the little things and that makes it fun for me. We set up our tree last night and my kids can't stay away from it, it's so cute. Check my blog to see how we keep them out of it.

Anonymous said...

Everyone--

Holley adores Christmas all year long. I don't know anyone that shows more of that Spirit than her always. We, in our family, all love and aspire to the kind of service and love she shows all year long. And we all love Christmas music all year long. It is truly a lovely blessing to us.

We're just a little confused right now, that's all--because we're still in the disorganization of moving, the re-adjustment of taking care of my father, the push to help Brien succeed academically, etc.--all of which wasn't going on last holiday.

So I'll do me some talkin' to my Sweetie, and remind her what she already knows. She can and should say 'no' to what she needs to say 'no' to--because her life all year is all about serving others. To keep that life going takes saying 'no' to some parties, 'no' to some of this, 'no' to some of that, even 'no' to some service that won't fit in your time.

There's always the rest of the year when we should celebrate our Lord just as faithfully, to do what we couldn't do at Christmas, right? Stressing out is the opposite of what we should do at Christmas. The Lord doesn't want us to do that. It just takes will-power and proper perspective.

I pray that we all can celebrate the Lord all year long without stressing out or becoming commercialized or misguided. May we all be calm in Him.

Jeanna, I love you for your comment about "no presents". I believe you're right. I wish we had the guts too. But at least I hope we are successful in buying the minimum gifts to symbolize our love for each other and the Gift God gave us all; and not go further and spill over into covetousness or commercialism.

Masters Of Disasters said...

wow, after reading your blog and the comments, I feel, a, well worldly. Maybe it's because I have been decorating grandma whites since september first, but I started christmas shopping in october. I admit this is crazy, but I truly thought I would get it all done, and then enjoy the christmas season when it came. Well it just hasn't happened that way! i can't tell you how many times I have bought toys, and then returned them in guilt. It is after thanksgiving and I am still wondering if I did enough or if I did to little. Maybe it is because I grew up with only two brothers and no sisters, and we totally got spoiled at christmas, or maybe it is because I am married to Kevin (who never worries about money, although he should) and totally spoiles everyone including me. I feel if I don't go buy the toys, then he will, and then we will be in real financial trouble! I've tried saying O.K. this year lets not get each other presents, lets just enjoy the kids christmas, he says o.k sounds good to me. Well there we are on christmas and he walks in with presents for me(they had been hidden so I would think he didn't do anything) and stupid me is sitting there with no presents for him. I actually followed through with are plan. I felt so bad. I have since learned to say o.k. only get each other 2 presents. He does o.k if I say that, he does't go to crazy.
I don't know why I get so stressed out this time of year. Maybe it's because I am a perfectionist, a worrier, indecisive, and up to my eyeballs in decorations at grandma's (she just keeps adding). I can't believe I just admitted those things about myself (shhhhh don't tell). But I really need to focus more on what christmas is all about and do some service for others. Dane's comments have really made me think about what I should be doing. I need to take a deep breath and forget about gifts and focus on the true meaning of chrismas! Thanks p.s. you are awesome parents, your kids have turned out so great. I need to know all you secrets so my kids turn out that great! p.s.s I love christmas music all year too, maybe it is because I know the words and can actually sing along. I don't ever get to listen to the radio, just to barney and abc songs ect. So I can't sing along with anything anymore.

Blog Archive