
Before I even start let me just preface this with, yes, I love my kids and yes, I am very grateful for all that motherhood entails. However, it is Friday, the first month of school is over and I am DOG TIRED. Make that WEARY.
I have driven back and forth to the high school at least 40 times, as my fuel bill can attest, enduring a psychologically disturbed crossing guard who causes me to be late for work almost every morning no matter what time I leave from home.
And then there are the trips to band practice three times a week, soccer practice daily in addition to at least one game per week. Not to mention designing a Web page for the school band program. And being the good mother that I am, getting up at 5:30 a.m. on many Saturdays to help with Horseshows, Yard Sales, Car Washes and other fundraisers designed to deprive parents of both sleep and financial stability.
I have signed countless pieces of paper, written our name, address and other information too many times to count, and checked homework everyday in addition to helping with two major projects. One for younger son’s English class and the other for older son’s history class. I have arranged for tutoring for both sons, one who desperately needs to achieve a good score on the SATs and the other a good grade in Algebra II.
I have attended all of the home soccer games and some of the away games and helped in the concession stand. I have waited in parking lots late at night for buses returning home from various activities or for Brien to get off from work.
Did I mention laundry? Oh my. Minimum of two loads a day and it’s still unfolded and piled everywhere. Dishes? Never ending. And did I mention that I have to work full-time outside of my home. My husband does help, but still we are in danger of suffocating from an avalanche of laundry. I won’t mention how we are in the process of having a home built and will soon be cohabitating with my Father-in-law!
Enough whining!!! I only have two kids and my mother endured me and seven more. I love being a Mom, and the craziness of it all does keep me young at heart, but right now, I just want a NAP.
Have a great weekend!
3 comments:
Holley,
I completely get it. I do. I even wonder how the heck our mothers did it, as I only have two children. How can two be so all consuming? Fridays are the worst, the weariness is overwhelming. In fact, last Friday I did come home and nap, for about 1 hour after I got home from school until everyone else showed up. I considered it a lucky day. I hope you and your pillow find some serious alone time very soon.
I am so glad that you started a blog! I just read all of it and cannot wait to check it every day! I love motherhood too but it is exhausting, I am right there with you. We love you guys and are so glad we have this form of communication to be able to stay in touch!
I'm thinking two is a great number! I haven't dealt with the teenage years yet so I can't really relate but I did gain a whole lot of appreciation for my mom as I read your post. She had 6 kids, taught elementary school full time while my dad was out of town on business most of the time. HOW did she do it? Good thing we get help from up above....and a little prozac never hurt anyone. I'm so excited about your blog!! I can't wait for the soccer pics! Love, Katie
Post a Comment