Can you believe that it's only 12 more days until Christmas? I can't. The days are flying by. The world is moving at a breakneck pace and it seems harder and harder to keep up.
During my personal scripture study I have been reading in Matthew. I started earlier this month because I wanted to read about the Christmas story. Today I read about when Christ was entering into the Garden of Gethsemane and he asked Peter and the two sons of Zebedee to go with him. As Jesus is preparing himself for the atonement that will take place in the garden he asks his apostles if they will watch and pray. When he comes back he finds them sleeping and he asks them, " could ye not watch with me one hour?" Jesus admonishes them and says in Matthew 26:41 "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."
I've been thinking a lot this morning about what it means to "watch." Earlier when I read in Matthew 2 about the wise men and their journey to find Jesus I was struck by something that I've never really thought about before. When the wise men go to King Herod and ask, "Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him," Herod reacts with jealousy and deceit. I've always known that part of the story but it occurred to me that now, in our day, Herod is a metaphor for the world.
It seems to me that more and more the Christmas season is filled with attacks on Christianity. Cities and Towns are looking for ways to ban the display of Nativity scenes. Schools have eliminated almost all references to Christ in their musical performances and plays. I even heard a story about a school who sent a letter to parents warning them that a planned field trip to see a live performance of, "A Charlie Brown Christmas," would expose their children to Christianity and if they would prefer the child could stay behind at the school.
Predictably, a parent or two took exception to the school taking their children to a church and of course caught the attention of an atheist group, which warned the school district that the field trip might be a violation of the First Amendment's supposed separation of church and state.
Just like King Herod, the world is jealous and mistrustful of Christ and is so caught up with their own quest for power and fame that they are seeing to destroy Him and anyone who believes. So how do we combat the King Herod of our day. I believe the answer is found in the story of the wise men.
A common saying at Christmastime that I'm sure you've heard makes an important statement: "Wise men still seek Him." The implication is that if you are wise, you will seek Jesus, just like the wise men who followed the star until they found "the newborn King of the Jews."
The story of the wise men offers several lessons on what it means to truly seek Jesus today. I believe that "seeking," and "watching, are synonymous with regard to the scriptural application in our lives as believers in Christ.
I find it very intriguing what these first-century astrologers did, and how Heavenly Father used them to further His plan.
The Wise men were looking! At first glance, it appears these men of high position woke up one day, saw a bright star, and decided to follow it. But there's so much more to the story than that. Though the scriptures don't tell us much about the wise men, history tells us that they probably came from a region near the site of ancient Babylon, where reading the stars and signs was serious business. It's possible the wise men had studied the Old Testament, left by Jewish exiles centuries earlier. They might have read the prophecy found in the book of Numbers, "there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel." Armed with their knowledge of the scriptures, they were probably looking for some indication that the prophecy was true.
Heavenly Father sent them a sign. A lot of people want God to send them a sign. "If you're really out there, God, show me!" The problem is that people really aren't looking for God. They want God to look for them. Not so the wise men. They were earnestly looking and watching, so God responded and sent them a sign--a star. Something that I've been learning lately is that Heavenly Father would love to send all of us a sign. All we have to do is LOOK for Him. The scriptures tell us that Heavenly Father " is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."
The wise men committed to a journey. Seeking God takes commitment. Just because God gives us a sign, doesn't mean our job is done. We need to embark on a spiritual journey. You have to get out of your comfort zone and do what it takes to truly find God. That's what the wise men did. They set aside their routine, made the commitment to follow God's leading, and traveled a great distance to find the Messiah.
The wise men brought gifts. The wise men didn't begin their journey empty-handed. They brought gifts that honored Jesus. The gold was a gift fit for a king; the frankincense was a fragrance signifying deity; and the myrrh ws a spice used to anoint a body for burial. The wise men probably didn't realize the true significance of their gifts, but God did. He knew that the King of Kings and Lord of Lords would one day lay down His life for all people.
The wise men listened to God's voice. The sign Heavenly Father gave the wise men led them to Jesus, but God wasn't done. He spoke to them in a dream and told them to return home another way so that King Herod wouldn't know where Jesus was. I am so grateful for the knowledge that I have that Heavenly Father and Jesus still speak to us today. I love the scripture in John 10: 27 "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me."
There's one final aspect to the wise men's story that shows us how Heavenly Father uses those who are obedient. After the wise men returned to their homeland, God spoke to Joseph through an angel and warned him to take Mary and the Baby and flee to Egypt. Historians tell us that in order to raise money for the trip, it's quite possible that Joseph sold the gifts the wise men had given.
How amazing--and how comforting--to know that Heavenly Father ALWAYS sees the big picture. He will always provide for us if we ask Him and often even when we don't ask him. He provides for us using whatever gifts we give Him for our own benefit and His glory. The thing we have to remember is that He will never use our gifts if we don't give them to him and He always knows the significance of our gifts, even if we don't.
So again I ask the question. How do we combat the King Herod of our Day? First we need to be seeking and watching by reading our scriptures, praying and being obedient, and remember that if we're waiting on Heavenly Father to send us a sign, we've probably already missed the one's He's already sent. Second we need commit to the journey. Last we need to develop our talents and know that as long as we are doing our best, Christ will make up the difference.
I know that this is not a Christmas hymn, but I think it absolutely could be. These are the things we should ask ourselves in our fight against "Herod."
Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?
Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love.This Christmas and all through the year we need to let our "Lights" shine as a beacon to others who may be seeking and be "an example of a believer." We need to seek and watch and we know that if we do we WILL find him.
Merry Christmas Mom! I love you!
Til Tomorrow,
Holley

No comments:
Post a Comment