Honey Bee

Friday, December 21, 2012

I'll Play my Best for Him!

Hi Mom,

Well the saga of Brien's car continues. Just when we thought we had gotten off with a minor repair bill, we found out that it was MUCH worse. The car is going to be very expensive fix and even if we did pour more money into it there is no guarantee that it wouldn't continue to nickel and dime us. I'm really hoping that this latest development is the last of the shocks coming our way. We are currently looking into different options to provide Brien with needed transportation. For now, Lucy is graciously allowing Brien use of her second vehicle. I have some friends from church who run an auto salvage and used car business so I plan to call them this morning and see if they have any affordable options for us to consider. I'm starting to get a little bit worried, but I see this as a trial of my faith. I guess its just been a little bit too easy.

Again as Dane and I prayed and we crunched the numbers of our meager resources, we found that we have much more than we thought we did and if lead to the right opportunity we will be able to get Brien back on the road. If you could be more purposeful in your prayers for us, that we can find a good solution to Brien's transportation problem, we would appreciate it.

I am determined to be optimistic. The Lord has been guiding us so far and even though its scary right now, I know if we continue to look to Him we'll find a way.

I appreciated your text yesterday about Mary. I know that she had the gift and perspective of knowing that she was the mother of perfection; which was a tender mercy from the Father to help her endure and fulfill her purpose in God's plan. As I was pondering her life I was reminded that we too are favored and blessed of the Father. However if we are so busy complaining or being angry about our trials, we will miss the moments of perfection, the tender mercies that the Lord sends our way to help us stay focused on the bigger picture. Mary had the testimony that if she was obedient and did her best that the pain and suffering she endured and that her Son endured would be but a moment in the eternal perspective of things. That is the lesson that I'm trying to take to heart.

I was thinking about Mary again this morning and on my way to work I heard the song, "The Little Drummer Boy." Anyone who knows me knows that I love Christmas carols. I love to sing them and to play them on the piano. I never get tired of repeating the same carols over and over and I often listed to Christmas music throughout the year when I need an emotional and spiritual lift. I have many favorites but the message of "The Little Drummer Boy," really resonated with me this morning.

As you know, "The Little Drummer Boy," tells the story of a young shepherd who visits the holy family in the manger.   Everyone there has brought the baby Jesus gifts, their finest and most expensive gifts, and the young shepherd boy knows he can’t afford anything expensive.   He wants very much to offer a gift, but he is poor.   He thinks about it and decides there is one thing he can offer as a gift that doesn’t cost any money:  his music.  He is a drummer.  He plays his drum for baby Jesus.  And Jesus smiles.

He was probably self-conscious and didn’t want to stand out, but he stepped up and did it anyway. He was probably really nervous to play in front of everyone, but he kept himself focused on the one and only person that mattered.  And he played his drum from the bottom of his heart.  For free.  He played his best for Him!  And Jesus smiled.

The story in this carol may be made up, but it points to a larger truth:  the real gift offered was more than the music itself, although that was surely joyous, it was truly the heart and attitude of the musician. He had one thing to give the newborn king, his one talent. He played his drum for his Lord, he played his best for his Savior. What he could do he did to the best of his ability for Jesus.

We can learn a lot from a simple drummer boy, from a simple Christmas song. The gifts we have, the talents, skills, opportunities, are gifts we lay at the feet of our Savior.

In the January 2012 Ensign, President Monson talked about the ABC's of living the abundant life. He said, "So much in life depends on our attitude. The way we choose to see things and respond to others makes all the difference. To do the best we can and then to choose to be happy about our circumstances, whatever they may be, can bring peace and contentment."

So today I will take to heart the lessons from "The Little Drummer Boy," and Mary. I WILL DO MY BEST FOR HIM! I will choose to have a positive attitude and to cultivate an eternal perspective in all things.

This video is one of my very favorite musical acts, "Celtic Woman."



I love you Mom! Merry Christmas!

Till Tomorrow,
Holley

No comments:

Blog Archive