O Zion, that bringest good tidings, get thee up into the high mountain; O Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God!
I have always been surprised by people who don’t find singing a worshipful experience. I do. I can worship through song when I’m alone in my room, and when I’m in a roomful of people. I don’t often volunteer to be a soloist because it sometimes feels like a painful technical exercise in inadequacy for me. I love hearing other people sing in worship.
Music has been called the universal language. It crosses boundaries of language and culture and communicates depths of feeling words rarely can. In a worship service, it can invite the spirit of revelation and reflection. Elder Neal A. Maxwell of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles once said he is continually impressed with the power of music to comfort and counsel in a way that often exceeds the power of the spoken word.
Unfortunately, many people don’t sing—or don’t sing out—because they think they don’t have “singing voices.” However, the purpose of congregational singing is to worship and praise God, not to perform. We should not be afraid to sing out, even if we have a less-than-perfect voice.
Alexander Schreiner, one of the great Tabernacle organists, recalled a story about someone who asked a music director how he could stand to hear old Brother Stanton bellow off-key at Church gatherings. “The wise old leader replied: ‘Brother Stanton is one of our most devout worshippers, and when he bellows he is a supreme musician. … Don’t pay too much attention to the sounds he makes. If you do, you may miss the music.’ ”
The passage from Isaiah quoted above exhorts the reluctant prophet to confidently shout the good news of God’s mercy to Judah. “Lift up they voice with strength; lift it up, be no afraid!” The messenger shines, not on his own, but reflecting the joyful light of God’s presence. Joy is as uncontainable as light. It reaches as far as light. It bounces and plays in its own reflections. When we lift up our voice, we reflect the light all around.
Some news is too good to be self-conscious about. Like the Angels who serenaded the shepherds at the Nativity, we can spread the news of Christ’s birth through our joy in singing the music of the season.
Friday, December 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Are you coming up with this stuff yourself? I am in pure awe. You really are such a good person/Christian Holley. Looks like there was a reason you were born so close to Christmas. BTW our kids love their coloring books and Christmas story books...especially the "Little Engie" one. Oh yeah and when are going to start publishing your children's books?
I wrote "engie"...now that's funny. (enine)
Post a Comment