Honey Bee

Monday, March 9, 2009

It's a Small Bloggy World After All

Saturday night I got a text message from one of the sisters on my RS Enrichment committee, Tracey. Since I am officially the World’s Least Efficient Texter (it’s true, and I know that because I have consulted with experts), I stood in my kitchen and concentrated with all my might in order to compose a reply.

I just can’t work that keypad, y’all (remember that’s North Carolinian for you all). I think I may need a tutor.

Anyway, it took me a full five minutes to reply (I believe I was trying to text something along the lines of “Yes. I do.”), and before I could relax from THE STRESS OF IT ALL, Tracey, had sent me another message.

Y’all can’t even imagine the pressure.

Apparently Tracey got restless waiting for me to text her again and decided to call. Quite frankly I was terribly relieved to hear her voice because it was taking a sweet forever to insert a question mark into my message.

Oh, you’d better believe that I text with proper punctuation.

Perhaps this is part of my texting problem.

So while Tracey and I settled into a conversation about the upcoming RS Birthday Quarterly activity - including but not limited to Dollar Tree, Wallmart, Target, Pots-O-Gold and spray-on tans. While this was going on Wes decided to call Sister Chandler who had left us a voicemail message earlier to remind Wes about his Sunday School assignment and somehow the topic got turned to my BLAWG.

But first, some context.

Very few people in my world know about my blawg. Part of the reason for that is WHY WOULD THEY CARE, but another part of the reason is that I don’t talk about it. I did ‘fess up to my friend Donna Jo this past week, but that was only because I mention her sometimes and thought that she should have a chance to edit my storytelling…just in case I may have embellished something about her…For the record…I NEVER do that…well almost Never.

(While I don’t have photographic evidence to prove it, I’m pretty sure that my head exploded just a tiny bit as I was telling her about it.)

(Because the whole thing is very awkward for me.)

(We can explore that topic another day in the company of some licensed professionals.)

Well.

Somehow Sister Chandler is neighbors with Donna Jo, who’s dear friend Mary Ann’s daughter (got that? good. there will be a quiz later.) found out about my blog (I took a writing class and there was a section on life stories and new technology and we all looked at each other’s blog and Mary Ann’s daughter knew someone in that class). So she saw that I had mentioned Donna Jo in one of my posts. And so the daughter, called Mary Ann and said, “Mama, did you know that Donna Jo is on the internet!

Mary Ann in turn called Donna Jo and said, “DJ! You’re famous! Your name is on the internet! On the computer! On Wildberrypunch2!

Just so you know: Mary Ann had never heard of Wildberrypunch2 before. But bless her for being tickled to death about it.

When Donna Jo heard Mary Ann’s news, she said, “Oh, Wildberrypunch2! Wildberrypunch2! Wildberrypunch2! That’s my crazy co-worker, Holley’s, website! Wildberrypunch2.Net! Wildberrypunch2.Net! So Mary Ann turns around and calls Sister Chandler because they are neighbors too and tells her all about Donna Jo being famous because of her crazy co-worker Holley. Well Sister Chandler and I had determined how we were linked at the Ward Christmas party….that’s what we do in the South for entertainment. We play 7 degrees of Separation from Mary Ann Inabnit.

At that point Wes interrupted the story to say, Um, I think its Wildberrypunch2.com. Fortunately for me, he forgot to mention the blogspot portion in between the 2 and the .com.

“OH NO - I’ve gotten it ALL WRONG! I thought it was .Net! .Net!”

Sister Chandler went on to tell Wes that she wishes that she could, you know, READ the blog, but that would involve a computer and an internet connection - neither of which she has. Mary Ann doesn’t have a computer, either, and while Donna Jo’s friend, Julia Claire, does have a computer, Mary Ann is very adamant that Julia Claire’s computer is “only for ordering things. She can only use it for ordering things!”

I’m sure we’ve all seen those order-only computers in the catalogs.

So. Here is my serious question.

Do I help Donna Jo who is somehow connected to people in my ward, help her friend Mary Ann get into the bloggy loop, y’all? Do I let Sister Chandler have the REAL address to the site?

I’m just not sure I want to go down that road. I like blogging and I like the friends that I’ve made online…but we all know about the amount of mocking I do of the South. Most of my bloggy friends are family or connected by family. I wouldn’t want my blog to be responsible for starting another civil war…these people down here haven’t forgotten the first one.

Maybe I could figure out a way to text her the blog posts (edited of course), but I think it’s probably a bad idea to expect a 70-something woman to read paragraph after paragraph on a 2 x 2 screen.

Not to mention my severe texting limitations. Which we’ve already addressed.

So.

Any ideas? Maybe I should just go private.

4 comments:

Jeanna said...

Man oh man I get this. I have ward members, friends, and coworkers who now have access to me via facebook and thus my blog. . This now rules out any and all complaining I may or may not do about
1. Ward issues.
2. Work issues.

Harsh! What does that leave? Making fun of my sweet husband who doesn't deserve all my wrath!

Going private is a bust, too. I don't wanna do it, don't make me!

Katie said...

I think you know what I'd do...Another great example of why going private rules! I hate holding back and trying to remember if I've written anything I shouldn't (although I really do hold back)....As long as I'm invited. :)

Kelly Boyle said...

I really don't see the big deal. I think it is a good way for them to get to know you. You aren't from the south so they should realize that you are trying to describe things to your family who don't live there. It might even be a good way to do missionary work. Who knows? And if they are like the rest of us, who enjoy getting a good laugh, then they should enjoy it.

Jules said...

That's why I always say the ultra personal stuff on the weight loss blog.

Blog Archive