Honey Bee

Monday, November 3, 2008

Putting my eggs in a different basket

I will vote tomorrow. This incredibly hyped, disgustingly manipulative campaign season will finally be over and we will have a new president. Or at the very least, we will move from the campaigning to the litigating season.

I am not excited about my vote. Caught between pro-life and fiscal conservative convictions and concern for the environment and our young men and women serving in this dysfunctional war. In the last several elections I have felt like I’m in a 1970s dystopian movie. Soon I expect to hear a chirpy mechanized voice greet me with “Welcome, voter. Please select your preferred method of destruction.”

I have been surprised (although I probably shouldn’t be) at some of the people I’ve seen interviewed for the news. These people used very extreme language to express burgeoning hope for the future after this election. I understand believing in a candidate’s policies, or admiring the candidate, or, in this election, being excited about the powerful symbol of the first black American president. But the language I am hearing seems beyond that. At least one interviewee I heard voiced the opinion that this election finally gives her hope and something to believe in.

Even allowing for hyperbole, those words made me sad. Because whomever we elect, I don’t really believe it will change the fundamentals. Politics can sometimes save lives, and that is no small thing, but politics can’t change human nature. Politics never erased human greed (in fact it seems to have perpetuated it), or made liars honest, or turned a neglectful parent into a loving one.

Perhaps that person and I are looking for different things in life. I look for something to believe in to ease the pain of the human condition, to strengthen me in the struggle for virtue, and to connect me to something unfailing and lasting.

I cannot imagine finding those things in the outcome of an election. It’s just not big enough to believe in.

Which is why I am so grateful for my testimony. I am grateful for the peace and assurance that I get when I’m on my knees talking with my Heavenly Father.

We live in a scary time, but in the midst of that we can have peace if we follow the counsels of President Monson, prepare for the worst, hope for the best and lay up our treasures in Heaven.

I can hardly believe that it is November. The year is almost at a close and the Holidays are descending in that annual mad rush. This year, I am simplifying. I'm going to stop the madness of gluttony and greed. I'm going to feed and nurture the spiritual side of myself and my family.

This year its all about service and gifts from the heart. This year it will be different. This year we'll be celebrating the blessings of family, the blessings of the gospel and the blessings of leadership that you can HOPE and BELIEVE in. I can't wait to get my November Ensigns so that I can relive general conference.

Happy November!

4 comments:

Julie J. said...

Very well put. I'm so grateful to live in a country where, whatever the outcome of the election, we can expect a peaceful transition.
I personally feel sorry for whoever gets the job. It's a big one.

Kelly Boyle said...

Amen, Sista! It is so true. I feel it so sad that people can't take responsibility and have to blame whatever on whoever. Times are hard and they will only get harder. But it doesn't mean we can't be happy and live happy lives. I believe that happiness is in doing what is right. Living our lives in accordance to the gospels teachings. Be thankful for what you have, there is always someone who has it worse.
Thanks for the reminder Holley. Love ya.

Katie said...

Geez why can't I think at that level. I agree also with everything you said. Honestly the other day I was thinking, if only our church could run the government...thanks for your commentary. I actually already voted via mail. Now Gare and I don't have to coordinate baby-sitting and what not.

McGiven Family.... said...

Love the post!

By the way, the Wheels on the Bus book is the favorite in the house. The boys fight over it and love it. We took it to church yesterday and it kept them quiet longer than ever. We love it and we love you! Thanks for being such a wonderful aunt and sister!

Blog Archive