With my boys getting older (now if they would only get wiser) I have found myself feeling very nostalgic, something I would always tease my Dad about.
I was thinking this morning as I was dragging my weary body out of bed to begin another week at work, about how I used to spend many of my summer days.
Sure there was the swimming, the staying out until the street lights came on, and the sunburns. There were also the game shows.
I woke up every morning of summer and when I didn't have a softball game or practice I watched The Price Is Right, Sale of the Century, Family Feud, Wheel of Fortune, Concentration, Joker's Wild, and several others that are eluding me at this very moment. Entire mornings were spent estimating how much a package of Rice-a-Roni (the San Francisco treat!) would cost if you averaged the prices from across the nation. I mean, obviously the cost of living is less in small town, Oklahoma so the Rice-a-Roni is less expensive than in LA so you have to take that into consideration. Seriously. Shut up. I was 12 and I rocked at game shows.
On Sale of the Century I would "shop" with them as they chose their final prize winnings. I consistently gave the top five answers (usually in order) in Family Feud. And the rest? Mere child's play. The only thing I lacked was the need to run, screaming like a madwoman, down the aisle. I had no intention of spending my 15 minutes of fame acting like an idiot. Besides, I also wasn't that interested in kissing Bob, Richard Dawson, Chuck Woolery, Wink, or any of the others. Ewwww. Old man lips. Gross. Now Ricky Schroeder? John Cusak? Ralph Macchio? C. Thomas Howell? Matthew Modine? Bring. It. Children of the 80s UNITE!
3 comments:
I was just telling Justin yesterday that if I could go on any two game shows it would be the price is right and Family Feud. I love those games!! Maybe it runs in our blood?!? :) Congrats on the new H.S. Grad!!!
Matt and I went to the Price it Right. We were in the second row back and we got a lot of camera time, but never got called down. I did give a high five to a dude name Ignacio as he ran down to hist little podium. The highlight of the trip - being squished in the back of a Chevy Malibu with Matt and his girlfriend smooching next to me.
That was funny. I remember watching The Price is Right, but the other ones don't really ring a bell. I did have one summer where I got into a few soap opera's, I don't remember them now. What a waste of time, if only they'd had better summer programs when we were kids.
Post a Comment