Honey Bee

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Maybe I Need A Telethon?

I have a disability that I've never really told anyone about.

Actually, I've had it since I was a teenager. They say the first step to healing is to admit you have a problem, so here goes.

I cannot put things back in my wallet or purse after I've used them.

And by "things" I mean money, phones, credit cards, sunglasses, etc. You know, stuff you might need later.

Whew, that's a load off my chest. I suspect that my mother and my husband already knew about my disability, but they were just too polite to mention it to me. They are just good like that.

I have lost more stuff and had to re-issue more debit cards than any human should ever have to do in a lifetime.

Oh, sure, when I lose stuff I vow NEVER to do it again, and, I'll change my ways if I can just have one more chance. I buy organizing thingees for my purse etc.

Yet, after I make that vow, I'll stop at the grocery, fling my sunglasses on the seat next to me, go in and buy something and stuff my debit card in my pocket. Does anyone have Jerry Lewis’ phone number?

I have no idea why I'm unable to put these things away. I don't typically lose other stuff, but, this is getting to be a problem.

It's not that my debit card or my sunglasses, etc. have been lost in public (knock on wood), it's just that wherever I put them makes sense to me at the time, and, then I can't remember what I've done with them, or, they fall out and slide around the car or something only to be seen again when I clean out the car or get a new debit card. Isn’t that the first law of loss, replace and ye shall find?

Yes, I KNOW this is a BAD habit, and, anything you lecture me about is nothing I haven't told myself, yet it continues.

Yes, I KNOW it's not hard to just put the cash or card back in my wallet after I use it, but, I am impaired, hence the word disability.

I thought perhaps my purse was too big, or, my wallet is too stuffed to make putting things away easy, but, I've pared down a lot, and, it still persists.

So I am starting a new self-help group called PIAS (Put it away stupid!) If you are also suffering from an inability to PIAS, then call me and maybe we can get some congressional lobbyist to plead our case to congress and we won’t have to pay those ridiculous replacement fees anymore.

While I do that, will you look under the seat and see if my sunglasses are there?

In the mean time here is another fun bear video from our trip.

2 comments:

Jeanna said...

Here is my suggestion, and this is coming from a fellow sufferer. Start with one thing. I had issues with keys, forever! So I (or Harold) put in a hook by the garage door where we are supposed to put our keys. My keys end up there 95% of the time. And sometimes when my keys aren't there it is because someone else who drives the car at my house has missplaced his own keys and uses mine instead of hunting for his own. I have become a key master and I am proud. I have recently started this with my wallet. I cleaned the dang thing out and I still have the occasional slip up, but for the most part for about 6 months now I have been returning my debit/credit/id cards to their proper place in my wallet.

Start small, baby steps!

If it were too late for you to change, the Lord would have called you home by now.

Katie said...

I can empathize with your disability. Just ask Gary about mine. I seem lose a lot of those items as well. I like the bear flick...looks like you and Dane need to become bear trainers or perhaps adopt one at a local zoo...or maybe you already have. :)

Blog Archive